Oil in fish tank

kristalAK

Medium Fish
Feb 9, 2006
Anchorage Alaska
While feeding our fish recently, we noticed what looks like an oil sheen on the top of my boyfriends Cichlid tank. We were wondering what could have caused this, we're careful not to have lotions or perfumes on hands while feedings or water changes. What can we do to solve this problem?
Any information provided is appreciated

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Hmm, it sounds like something got into your tank somehow. Make sure your tank is well covered, if you spray anything in your house i.e. cooking spray, scents, etc. something could have floated into your tank. I would try to skim off as much as possible and do a water change just to be safe. Maybe someone else has more insight?

Oct 18, 2006
Oceanside California
are there any holes in the cover on top? I have the air wick thing and had to cover my tank to prevent the stuff from settling into my tank. Did you recently change filter without rinsing it perhaps? Best bet is to follow missfishy advice as it is quickest way to remove it... then just keep an eye out for it to show up again.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
If you feed a food that has a lot of protein in it this happens to most people. (bloodworms, some flake foods etc). Nothing to worry about really. If you can see it on the surface of your water it probably also means that you dont have enough surface agitation. Agitating the water should get it to mix in somewhat, or just so you can't see it. You can try the dipping a paper towel in trick...I hear it works, but I've never really tried it :)

Sep 11, 2005
Philadelphia
www.myspace.com
Set it on fire? hehe

No but in all seriousness if the fish are doing well and it's just a little bit of oily stuff on the surface, I wouldn't worry too much. Maybe what I would do is some surface skimming with the paper towels and/or sponges, a water change, and some fresh carbon in the filter.