ok! need info?

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
in short, seahorses need tanks with very little current and tall sea grass (or silk fake) for cover/hanging on to in order to thrive. taller tanks are better than long. many seahorses will only take live food at first but can be trained to eat frozen

sea slugs have varying needs based on what kind they are

Henry22

Large Fish
Oct 5, 2004
Kentucky
Visit site
Almost all Captive bred seahorses take frozen but are much more expensive and usually seahorses like to be keep in pairs. You also generally need a tank 3X their adult height for them to be happy. Its also a good idea to have a refugiam. Thats about all i know but someone can correct me if im wrong.

Mar 14, 2005
OK, will soon have a refuguim, and the 29 gallon is tall, i want to use live sand, and im gonna get capulara, do they require alot of rock? seaslugs i want are the velvet ones, i have a 15 gal ready for them , been up for 2 months now,

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Well, well I've just been diving this week and looking at pipehorses in temperate water. I would take that tank, get a thin layer of sand on it with two or three good sized pieces of live rock, orientate them vertically and try to pick pieces with caulerpa or other macro algaes of the right size/shape. If I couldn't get them I'd cheat and get some plastic vallis. I'd also go with the refugium. I'm seriously thinking of trying them as they are so easy to netcatch.
No corals with them - maybe you could research nd find some corals that come from a lagoon enviroment, but most of those are likely to burn a horse.
The tropical blue and yellow striped pipehorses look ultra cool, and are often quite cheap, and if you can feed them quite easy to breed .

As far as the nudis go I think they suck for the most part. They're typically impossible to feed as they are often ultraspecific, so id your desired nudi, find out what it feeds on and see if you can cultivate it. They'll usually do ok for a few months and then 'mysteriously' die as it takes simple inverts quite a while to starve to death.