Ok, now what?

Tarah

Small Fish
May 13, 2005
I have a 10 gal tank that is app. 2 months old. I think that my cycle is finally finished. I lost 4 tetras in the process (2 cardinals, 2 neons) and had to treat for Ick. But, my dwarf gourami is still alive and apparently doing well. I've noticed some algae starting on the glass, and think that I'm ready to add an otto, and maybe something else.

Do you think 1 otto and 3 zebra danios would do OK? Do you think the gourami will be traumatized by adding new, active fish like Danios? Will they bother him? I might just start with the otto.

Also, I haven't changed my filter since I got it. It says once a month...it's one of the carbon packets. Since being here, I'm all freaked out about the carbon, and am not sure what to do now. How do I change it. I can't afford to buy a new filter right now, so don't suggest that. How can I use the current refills in the best way. Should I really remove the carbon and just use the bag?

phOOey

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Nottingham, UK
if i were you i'd get atleast 2 ottos if not more. mainly because with two you have twice the algae fighting force :). i think zebra danios would also be fine with the gourami.

about the carbon, normally you can just buy replacment carbon for you filter for a few bucks. It depends on what type of filter you've got as to how you change it. on cannister filters you normally have to take the whole filter out the water and take it apart to get to the the filter media. i've never had a HOB so if you've got one of them i cant help you there.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Sounds like you have an HOB filter? I think the once a month changing is the worst thing someone could do for a new tank...you really dont need to change that filter pad. If its really nasty, next time you do a water change take the cartridge and swish it around in the used tank water to get some gunk off. You dont want to disturb your bacteria in the tank too much since you just finished cycling right?? I dont change the cartridges on my HOB filters more than once every 6 months or more. As for the carbon....not even necessary to use it. You could open that cartridge and dump the carbon out into the trash if you'd like? Otherwise dont worry about it. Really...and its nothing to be freaked out about :) it wont hurt anything in there, it helps take medications out of the water if you need to...sometimes help with taking other particles etc out of the water.

As for the gourami and the danios...who knows, you could try it. I think I'd wait awhile to get the ottos...just to be sure you're really finished with the cycle.