Ok then - nano?

discus4everGrl

Superstar Fish
May 24, 2005
Chesapeake, Va
I have been posting regarding advice on starting a 30 gallon sw tank. Then I saw the nano section. I also have a 10 gallon I could use. Would this be better as a beginner tank? If I did a nano, I would use only shrimp or crabs, and perhaps one or two small fish at most with live rock, and perhaps a couple small corals down the road, but maybe not. I have three tanks besides my 55 discus tank I could use - I need to reserve one for a community tank of fish I really don't want anymore (cept my big angel), maybe I could give the rest back to the lfs? They all have water in them and are cycled, cause I didn't want to lose my bacteria colony. They are -

30 gallon tall hex (I currently have my angel in here cause he likes the tall stuff.) Although I would consider this tank for sw cause the surface area is small cause it's a hex.
30 gallon rectangle
10 gallon rectangle

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Use the 30 and not the 10. You will be very limited as to what you can keep if you use the 10, believe me, unless you are very stuck for money.

stagger19

Small Fish
Apr 23, 2005
Im doing a small 6 nano for starters, and only keeping inverts. This way I can get an intro in Salt Water World without dropping a ton on the live rocks and sand. I have a spare 20 laying around that I will use later on for a small salt for 2 fish.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
i would really reccomend both of you start with the bigger tank...the increased $$ you will spend well makes up for the headaches and frustrations you will experience when trying to keep a nano as your first tank

discusgirl - I have now seen you post in a couple places that your tanks are all cycled and ready to go and that you just need to add salt...well, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it doesn't really work that way. you will need to empty out whatever tank you plan to use, clean it out, and then start over again for salt water.

discus4everGrl

Superstar Fish
May 24, 2005
Chesapeake, Va
Yes I know. I was just stating that I have these tanks from freshwater fish. Trust me, I have been reading alot. I dumped $300 dollars into discus and I know saltwater is expensive. i plan to do it right. I am just running the tanks for now to keep bacteria alive. When I am ready for the sw, I plan to move the tank and stand anyways, so yes I need to empty.

btw - I have decided to start with the 30