Ok to use real rocks?

Strider

Small Fish
May 27, 2005
Is it ok to use real rocks from outside in your aquarium. I want a natural look and have a few nice rocks in the yard if cleaned up would looks really nice.

Any thoughts? Should they be scrubbed and boiled?

Thanks *BOUNCINGS

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
Scrub them and boil them. Thats a good start. Normaly you want to stay away from types of rock that will alter the pH of your water like limestone. It's been said many times to put a few drops of vineger on the rock, and if it fizzes, then it will alter the chemestry of the water. Vineger is a very mild acid, and sometimes can give false results, but its a good quick test. Hydrochloric Acid (HCI) is a much better choice for this if you have some. And if you have the proper testing kits, then you already have some. The Aquarium Pharmaceuticals nitrAte test kit bottle #1 contains 41% Hydrochloric acid.

Last edited:

svetlana

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2005
Gaithersburg, MD
home.uchicago.edu
I use weathered rocks from my forest. Honestly I even did not boil or baked them - washed them with water and then with filtered water. They look good in a big tank. I had no problem so far just an accident - my j. dempsey freaked out and scratched his head on one of the rocks. He's totally fine by now after Melafix treatment but I am on alert - I configured all rocks in a way that makes it least possible for fish to injure themselves, and also I am planning to overgrow mosses and ferns to make good padding for freaked out fish.
So, avoid sharp edges and narrow places where they can get stuck or hurt themselves. Of course chemistry of the rocks is very important. I assume that rocks which are old judging by their wheathering, or spent most of their lives in a stream are pretty much safe because all soluble and potentially dangerous ingredients should be long gone.
Also maintenance is an issue, a lot of debris can accumulate under rocks. Try to build sturdy structures that you won't disturb when cleaning and that they won't stay on your way.

LydiaGreen

Medium Fish
Sep 16, 2004
Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I wanted to use real rocks too until a friend told me her horror story. They had an 80L as their bar in the rec room. Her hubby was doing water changes and tank maintenance while she was pregnant (carrying all that water is back-breaking when you aren't pregnant, never mind when you are). I guess he didn't put the big rock down gently enough. The next morning she went downstairs to get something and stepped onto wet carpet. The rock had made a fine crack in the bottom of the tank and it drained slowly all night long while they were sleeping. Needless to say, all of the fish were dead - she hasn't kept any fish since. I'm likely overly cautious though, just be careful with real rock for obvious reasons.