Okay, from all of my knowledge, I figured this arrangement would be alright, but...

jabce85

Large Fish
Jul 12, 2003
Evansville, Indiana
Now we all know that Betta's all have their own "personalities", but have you ever known a male Betta to think a male Dwarf Gourami is another male Betta? Kinda wierd, I know, but when they first got together in the tank, there has been conflict. Jerry, the male Betta, always stalks the Dwarf Gourami around the tank. Sometimes Jerry even flares his fins and gills and tries to attack the Gourami. The Gourami is so scared and timid now, he has hardly been taking food. I know Gourami's are timid anyway, but this is just making it worse. Okay, so are there any suggestions to my little "conflict" I am having? Suggestions are welcome. Thanks! BTW, Jerry is a cool name for a Betta! haha

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Welcome to the board!

You probably guessed it already, the betta (Jerry) thinks your gourami is another male betta, and he does not like that at all. It will not get better with time, the gourami will likely always be chased if not bitten or worse.

I suggest putting Jerry (betta) in a seperate tank, like a 2gal or 3gal tank. They dont seem to care about space, he would probably prefer his own turf.