okay setup?

Rokl33t

Large Fish
Aug 2, 2004
Visit site
okay so i have decided i wanted to get out of the african cichlid ordeal and up grade to salt water....

this is wat i have from the cichlid tank lol.....

46 gal bow front
36 inch single tube light srtip

50 gal marine land bio wheel
50 gal aqua clear filter

aqua clear 50gal power head

200w heater

i was planning on buying another power head
and the seaclone protein skimmer from aqua systems
or this thing
http://www.petsmart.com/global/prod...immer&In=All&previousText=protein+skimmer&N=2

now if u guys are wondering why i would shop at petsmart because well i work there.....

my plans is to create a live rock bed...i kinda don't want to do coral yet...fish...probably small fish like cardinals, goby's, clowns

any recommendations?

thank u
urs truley

mikey hahaha

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
Cool, I work at Petsmart too.

As far as equipment goes, all you need is the tank, lights (which will be good enought for a FOWLR), the heater, and the powerheads. Just add live rock.
Don't even bother with the Seaclone--for the Petsmart price you could almost get a Bak-Pak or other decent skimmer. If you search the web and this forum you will discover that Seaclones are not highly rated.

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
wow you found 2 happy customers. No they suck, and you can find 9999999 reviews of them, why they suck and why you shoud spend your money on real skimmers. I bought one. It worked a while, altough everyone told me what a piece of crap it is. I could see skimmate in the cup...so in a way it worked, but i couldn't compare with another skimmer. Then i bought a coralife 220 needle wheel, for a little more money. I plugged them both. 1 day of coralife ( wich is a good but not the best skimmer available ) = 1 month of the seaclone . Now, i could see that there is actually more crap than the seaclone indicated, even tough my water looked pretty clean. It was a revelation. My seaclone was cleaned, leveled so it was working. Just not enough. This could be a cool skimmer for a 20 g because it's silent. But for the price, you can have much more with much less maintenance. The seaclone is poorly designed, the plastic is so cheap, the powerhead is just not powerful enough for half the volume they pretend it can handle, but can be used for something else, like mixing your salt in a bucket.
Well why do i always write a reply when it's about the seaclone ?
Because it shouldn't be recommended. If you guys are happy with it, all right, cool for you. But should people be tempted to waste their money while they could spend it on real gear ? No. Seriously, a skimmer is too important and a newbie shouldn't think the seaclone will help him.

Seiryoku

Large Fish
Apr 5, 2006
Woodland, CA
Hmm, since skimmers have been brought up, any opinions on the new Fission Nano-Skimmer by Current USA? I've been thinking of trying it out when I setup my SW tank. I'm thinking something around a 10g to 29g, the overall cost will determine the size in the end :eek:

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kahluazzz has seen the light ......

Similar, I have a prizm, and I actually have a prizm that works. Would I recommend one - no. Too difficult, too hard to set up and tune, and also I know if I plug my schuran in (bought for upcoming system) it will skim so much more out it is astonishing.

Don't buy the seaclone. Skimmers are no place to skimp.

And yes, I tihnk skimmers are very handy for FO tanks, as fish tanks tend to be quie dirty compared to lightly stocked reefs. I skim my fish tank - I never bothered skimming my coral frag tank.