One more quick question Please read

Aug 27, 2006
gourami

the female bettas would most likely peck out the eyes of the tetras

along with the fact that like bettas, gouramis are labyrinth fish, and can breath straight from the air.

gouramis and bettas get along together great.

~xoming from a labyrinth fish addict.

Feb 10, 2006
Bay Area, CA
What tank will you keep these fish in? You're sig. doesn't mention anything about 3 female bettas along with a spare tank to keep the additional fish.

Certain dwarf gouramis are shy, but again nothing is certain when keeping fish with bettas. Even though they are female, they can still be aggressive.

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
I think JWright is right on the money!
Putting labyrinth fish together can be a little dicey---at least in my experience with gouramies from the three-spot family.

Definitely go with tetras---they will not get their eyes 'plucked out'...LOL

They're pretty fast...
If anything, they would be the ones nipping at the betta's fins, and not vice versa.

What size of tank will you be putting all of these fish in?
This will determine what sort of tetras (and how many) you'll be able to put in with the bettas.

Big Vine

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
I think the black phantoms would be good tankmates. :) The female bettas won't "pluck" their eyes out!!! Good gosh! If anything the tetras might be a little nippy, but if they are in a school, you should have no problems whatsoever. Putting gouramis and bettas together is always a risk. Both are territorial, no matter what kind of gourami you get. Just remember to cycle or seed your tank, and don't add all those fish all at once! Maybe the bettas first, keep those for a couple weeks, then 3 tetras, then another 3 tetras a month later. Gotta give that tank time to adjust to the bioload! Also, for a tank with that stocking, I'd suggest either a 20 gallon long or high. Then you could also probably get some sort of bottom dweller.