One Spot Rabbitfish

Milo

Large Fish
Jun 29, 2006
Brampton, Ontario
Does anyone have any information on a One Spot Rabbitfish. I am thinking about adding him to my collection but have read different items on him. I read that he is reef friendly, and then saw today that they eat some corals. Also, I read that they are great for a 45gal (i have a 55) and then saw today that they need a 70 gal. Even then size measurements don't add up. I spoke with my LFS and they told me he would be find in a 55. I am basing my information from a book that I picked up at my LFS against what I have read online.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I know they are not reef safe....will eat corals, clams, etc......they are also poisonous (they have poisonous barbs in their fins)......

Milo

Large Fish
Jun 29, 2006
Brampton, Ontario
Yeah I knew they have poison on their fins. Son of a ______... they eat corals! I don't know why i bother reading books or going online or even asking the LFS anything! Sorry, letting out some frustration... I seem to do that alot!

*ALL* *ALL* *ALL* *ALL* *ALL* *ALL* *ALL* *ALL* *ALL* *ALL*

Jul 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
I've read that they are reef safe. It is just that they CAN be put in aggressive tanks, as they can protect themselves. One Spot's aren't worth the money, as they age they lose the spot for the most part.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Coral beauty, bicolor angel , marine betta.

I actually gave my foxface rabbitfish away last week, or rather swapped it for a canthigaster janthinoptera puffer. It was a killer algae eater, but pretty stupid. As they'll eat anytihng they grow pretty quickly , and as they swim a LOT I can't imagine one in less than 4 feet for long. I personally didn't like it much.

All rabbits are pretty reefsafe, but you know reefsafe is a pretty flexible term. In all honesty nothing bar a few gobies and cardinals are 100% safe, you're just playing the odds. Tangs and rabbits are examples of fish touted as reefsafe by most people , but you get nughty ones. If you like mushrooms and toxic gorgonians you have a lot more choices than if you like clams, feather dusters and the juicier lps corals