Online resources to find LFS?

shimmercat

Medium Fish
Jun 8, 2005
Southern Maryland
Are there any good online sources to find small fish stores in my area? I want to check out some of the privately owned stores, but I don't know where any are. I've had only sporatic luck with the yellow pages in past hobbies, so I'm wondering if the fabulous world of the web might have some options.

I'm in the metro DC area (up in Maryland, actually, around UMD) if anyone lives around here and has some ideas.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I was looking up information on a store I found a couple weeks ago...I googled it www.google.com and ran across a great personal site that someone had put up about all of his favorite stores in the metro area (Denver not DC, sorry) My suggestion would be to go to google and try seardhing for DC Metro fish, and some variations, maryland aquarium etc. You could get some hits. Another thing you could do is go to All Glass Aquarium's website www.all-glass.com and check out their retail stores near you. Or Marineland's website and check out their dealers near you. www.marineland.com Usually stores that carry AGA tanks are some of my favorites...and marineland is the company that makes biospira, so usually if a store carries marineland they're not a bad store either :) Course there's never a guarantee lol

May 11, 2005
Northern, VA.
www.freewebs.com
shimmercat said:
Are there any good online sources to find small fish stores in my area? I want to check out some of the privately owned stores, but I don't know where any are. I've had only sporatic luck with the yellow pages in past hobbies, so I'm wondering if the fabulous world of the web might have some options.

I'm in the metro DC area (up in Maryland, actually, around UMD) if anyone lives around here and has some ideas.
I'm just south of DC. If you find a good LFS please let me know. I'm ok with traveling. I read reviews on Wallys Aquarium and Super Pets, both in Annandale. The reviews are very bad. As a matter of fact I've been to both and experienced the same bad service people complained about.

Theres a LFS in Chantilly (kinda of a haul for you) that had good reviews.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I usually use the one on www.cichlid-forum.com in the reviews section. The reviews have been helpful in at least identifying stores that are most worth visiting. While I'm not into cichlids, it still lets you know if a store is generally good. Most of the time I have used it when either I or ecotank have been out of town and wanted to check out some stores. The other week we were in Phoenix for a day, and checked out a couple of the stores that others had liked, both were interesting and I think worth a visit.

shimmercat

Medium Fish
Jun 8, 2005
Southern Maryland
Lotus, that cichlid site is excellent! The reviews are very helpful. fishfloater, you should check it out too. *thumbsup2

I took a little trek out to two stores today and discovered that the one was no longer there! Suppose that's what I get for not calling first. XD But the other store was very interesting. I liked their yo-yo loaches.

fishfloater, I'll drop a line if I find anything worth you driving up here! Is there anything in particular you are looking for? I had my eye out for interesting corys, loaches, and bettas.