Oooverflow

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
Hey guys does anyone has made a diy overflow ? I built one with an pipe too big so i had to rebuild another with a 3/4" (J pipe). Now it works, but not very well. I can't synchronize the return pump ( old fluval 203 ) with the aquaclear 301 air intake connected to the J pipe...results : no balance. The water in the cup is drained very fast, so the ac301 shoots bubbles in the tank. Without the 301, well, i could get screwed and my floor too. Even when i ajust the power of the powerhead, i have too much drain or none. No middle. I have a cheap pic of the overflow box. Is my J tube too long ? And for the cup...i tried 3 different types/size.

Took some time to set my sump and now i have a ph drop ( 8.2 to 7.8 ) in a week!!! I Didn't check my parameters lately. Shame on me.

Attachments

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I think the j tube is too long. I don't see why that bottle needs to be lower than the inlet box lecel. Have you checked the diy forums on reefecentral or ozreef? I sadly think you're well on the way to a wet floor!

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
The J tube is long because my sump is next to my aquarium, just at the right level. I'll cut it. With the ac301 running i can't have a wet floor. Tested. Yeah i checked different design of various sites but i was wondering if someone has a made one like my very cheap and if it worked.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
But why is the box outside the tank so low? You need equal height boxes in and out of the upper tank so if flow is disturbed the siphon won't just run till it overflows. Water is siphoned out of the tank box, to the outer box, then it overflows/gravity drops to the sump.
They don't have a very good rep, be they purchased or homemade.

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
yea, i would be warry about power outages as well, if the power is out and the pump is running is it going to overflow? this is just something i thought u might want to think about before you have a power outage hehe good luck

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
the way to test that is to unplug the pump and see what happens...being ready, of course, to plug it back in quickly when you see the sump close overflowing...as for the rest, its a mystery to me, though as wayne mentioned, i have mostly heard bad things about the hob overflows

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
i tested it for a day with the sump ...no leak.. no spills.. but so much gargling. Yeah i made a bad move 'cause both the boxes gotta be at the same level. My first overflow was like that...i guess i was in a hurry for the second one.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
yah, my tank is drilled

i dont know if this will work on your setup b/c of how the HOB overflows work, but in a drilled overflow putting a breather hole on the top of the standpipe greatly reduces the gurgling sounds

k