Oops! Too many fish too soon!

Zero

New Fish
Sep 15, 2006
Michigan
Well, I did a decent amount of reading before starting my tank but unfortunately I did not read enough (none!:( ) about the most important part... CYCLING.

I put way too many fish in too soon, so my question is, what is my best possible solution? I have no problem returning or just flushing the fish to fish heaven in order to get things going right.

Here's what I have going:

29 gallon tank. Did things right as far as rinsing gravel, de-chlorine, chloramine etc.

9 tiger barbs (because I read they should be in larger groups to avoid aggressiveness)
2 Mollies (read they we're compatible with the tiger barbs)
2 guppies (wife picked em out. suprisingly getting along well with tiger barbs so far)

So what should I do?

Get rid of all fish?

Get rid of all but a few tiger barbs (because they're hardy)?

Other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for helping a newb and have a wonderful weekend.

GO BLUE!!!

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
Can you get ahold of some bio-spira? That would probably be your best bet since you've already added the fish. Seachem stability is a decent alternative too, although its not as good as bio-spira but it certainly wouldn't hurt. Or else take back the tiger barbs and do a fish-in cycle with the guppies and mollies. If nothing else, do a 25-50% water change in the morning and read up on the stickies on cycling :)

Zero

New Fish
Sep 15, 2006
Michigan
Wow, thanks for the fast response MOsborne05, I can already tell this is the place to be!

As far as Bio-Spira goes, I believe my LFS has it. I'll go in the morning and check for sure. If they do, should I use that and STILL do a partial water change, or just use the Bio-Spira? If they don't, I'll see if I can order it online, which means a partial water change is my best possiblity for results ASAP. About 50% water change perhaps? I obviously don't want to get rid of any fish I already have, but will do if necessary.

Again, thanks!

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Get the biospira, and still do the 50% water change (before adding the biospira, obviously). If you don't have test kits, try to do a water change every couple of days for the first week after you've added biospira (about a 25% change), because it might take it a little while to catch up to the fish load. If you do have test kits, change some water whenever the ammonia or nitrites get above 1-2ppm.

Zero

New Fish
Sep 15, 2006
Michigan
Again, thanks for the fast reply CAPSLOCK.

Is there any particular test kit you recommend? I need to get one. I'll get a test kit no matter what, but I'll definately get one ASAP to keep an eye on things if I can't get the Bio-Spira right away.

Also, is there somewhere on this site wher I can make a donation? Ya'll have been most helpful and I would like to help out if I can.

Thanks again, and I'd like to keep ya'll updated on how things go.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
My local pet stores sell a "Master Test Kit." It has several tests in it including ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and PH tests. All drops. My stores sell it for $32, but I ordered it online from Big Al's for $12 plus $7 shipping and handling. Great deal, but if you need it now, you need it now. Please don't flush your fish alive. That is cruel, I can't believe someone would even consider it. Keep up on the tests, do a lot of water changes (you'll probably be changing everyday for awhile with that bio load), and hopefully some of your fish will make it through. It's a good idea to take back some of the fish if possible, it would make it easier on you and the fish in the tank. Keep us updated!