Open Brain Help

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
Ok, I have had a healthy green metallic open brain (Trachyphyllia radiata) in my system since late October of 2003. It has been trucking right along doing great until this morning. When the lights turned on it was bleached....not totally white, but definitely on its way there. It is odd because everything else remains healthy in appearance, my other LPS coral (a pink bubble coral) is doing well and everything...does anyone have any thoughts on what could have caused this or what I can do to help...

Kevin

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Has it grown whil you've owned it? Has anything else grown dramatically? What are you feeding it and how often? I don't recall what lights you have.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I'm not going to cut and paste plagiarise another site but check out what wetwebmedia.com has to say on this exact subject. My only fear would be that if you haven't been feeding it often enough (or at all), that releasing the zooanthellae means it's on the way out and not easily fixable. Target feeding mysis and dosing the tank with iodine might do it though, but I've never done this.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
I have 110w of PC lighting over a 20g...3/4 of the bulbs are 10000 the other is actinic blue. As far as growth, it has grown while I owned it...roughly added an inch to its diameter i would say...I dose with Iodine and Calcium daily and Strontium/Molybendum every 5 days

as far as everything else growing, the answer would be yes...it all has grown...several colonies of mushrooms and polyps have expended dramatically and the aforementioned bubble coral is probbaly twice the size it was two months ago when I purchased it. Also, the umbrella leather is growing as well.

I do feed with mysis shrimp through a pipette so I dont know if that is the problem...I have been feeding every third day, perhaps that is not sufficient? I will ramp that up to twice daily for now and see what happens...this is bad timing considering the impending move...

thanks for the info Wayne