Open top tank options

ss1979

New Fish
Jun 10, 2011
tank1.jpg

I have had this tank for a number of years but am finally wanting to set it up. I wish to place it in the entry area of my home. There are 2 pumps on the sides which pump water all the way to the top. The water then falls from section to section then finally back into the tank.

Any ideas or suggestions? Type of fish; rocks or gravel; under gravel filter needed or will side filters be enough; etc

Thanks.

Nov 5, 2009
CT
its hard to say without knowing the types of filters you currently have, how big the tank is, and the kind of fish you'd like to keep. another thing is since the top will be open you will have to deal with evaporation more than if you had a hood. this shouldn't be a problem if you stay on schedule with your water changes. knowing those first two things are pretty essential though before we can help you further

ss1979

New Fish
Jun 10, 2011
tank size: 4.5ft length (left right) by 3ft deep (up down) by 2.5ft depth

Filters: No longer working. But when I did run the filters they were too strong. They were sending too much water to the top of the tank, causing water to overflow/splash. Too powerful.

That's all I have.

I do wish to put several fake green plants along the back top. And some real ones in the tank. Maybe some gravel or rocks on bottom.

Fish: Basically any that don't jump out. In the past I have had a smaller closed top tank. Had just tetra and a few others. I would prefer any type/size of fish but colorful.

Gravel or rock along bottom?
Heater needed?
What size filter would be adequate?
Plant suggestions?
Fish suggestions? Quantity?

Attachments

HappyFish

Small Fish
May 23, 2011
USA
Interesting looking tank! You'll probaly can use an internal filter. If you want tropical, you also gonna need a heater. If the tank is large enough, fancy goldfish would look nice. There not known jumpers and would match the tank's whimsical characteristics.

paperdog9

Large Fish
Dec 11, 2009
Your Imagination
Thats a nifty contraption! You could put some hornwort in there (its a very fast growing floating plant) to reduce any jumping. If you don't want a heater, you could do some white cloud mountain minnows. They are really cool looking. And you could put in a fancy goldfish as a centerpeice fish possibly as well. Good luck!

emma1981

Small Fish
Mar 20, 2011
Beautiful tank, very weired. If your going to put fancy goldies in your gonna have to have a good filtration system as the goldies are v.v. dirty & require a v. good filter (trust me I only have goldfish) they may also uproot the live plants, I know normal goldies do so maybe some ohter fish? The live plants are deffo a great idea & have you considered getting an established water lilly, they come in all shapes & colours (even ones that change colour!) & the resulting roots give fish somewhere to hide 7 go thru & also it will help keep the moisture locked in under the leaves & will look great in bloom. Definately a sizeable one though as its a pain in the bottom growing them from scratch & waiting for them to surface!