Opinions on Flame and coral beauty Angel

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
I was wondering if I could keep both these fish in my 90 gallon tank or only one. Any reviews on these fish. I know some of them tend to eat corals? Anyone have experiences with either of these fish?

Limi310

Superstar Fish
Nov 30, 2005
Charlotte, NC
I love my coral beauty. He's very outgoing...swims all over and comes to the front of the tank when I'm looking in. I've not had any problems from him with coral nipping. I've always heard it's not advisable to put dwarf angels together because they will fight......but I guess if you had a big enough tank.....I don't know if 90 is big enough.

TheFool

Large Fish
Apr 19, 2006
You'll have to try it. I would definitely try to get one considerable larger than the other if you can, or get them both small as you can safely assume they will both be female then ( they all start female and some of the larger ones become male).
Coral beauties are likely a tiny bit more 'reef safe' than flames, but both are pretty good. If you have sps you'll very likely be fine, and most softies are fine - the corals most likely to suffer predation are some LPS like Trachophyllia, and also clams can sometimes get chewed, but it's not especially likely.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
get them both small as you can safely assume they will both be female then ( they all start female and some of the larger ones become male).
This is not true at all with angels. It is true with anthias and some wrasses, and opposite in clownfish (start male and the largest becomes female). Angels are born as female or male and stay that way.

If you were going to try two, you'd want to add them both at the same time.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Actually that is incorrect. Dwarf angels (centropyge) are protogynus hermaphroditic starting off undifferentiated then turn female, then can become male.......living in female harems with a dominant male. If the male is lost the dominant female will become the male.

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
my coral beauty never bothered any coral but was a realy pita to any other fish i added after her! that was in my old tank, i want to get another one but if i do it will be the last fish in the tank!

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
Thanks for the replies. Sorry could not respond before was busy with work, Anyways I could not get a coral beauty as the LFS did not have one. They only had a Flame angel for $50 which was a no go for the tank, so instead I got 5 green/blue chromis which look great "schooling" don't mind the spelling. I also got 2 Kaudern's Cardinal which basically completes the stocking list.

2 clowns
1 hippo tang
1 six line
5 chromis
2 Kaudern's Cardinals

I sold the mandarin!!! I had to as their was too much competition for food. Maybe if I find a coral beauty I will purchase it. Although My tank is more them full. we'll see how it goes....