Opinions wanted on lighting please!

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
the first one is not going to have enough light to keep anything but shrooms and zoas...I am not clear about the wattage on the second one, or the price for that matter. Have you considered getting a single 150 W metal halide pendant, you could keep anything with a MH on a tank that size.

Limi310

Superstar Fish
Nov 30, 2005
Charlotte, NC
What are the dimensions of your tank? That first light is only 9 inches long and it's nowhere near bright enough.

I am thinking that the second light is no good either. I am guessing your tank is 20.5" long? In which case that light would be 28W and $34.

You might be able to get away with the same light I have...........although your tank is probably too deep.
http://www.hellolights.com/201xcoaqpcho.html

what ares said sounds better :)

the second light is this:1X 96W (6700K Quad)
(This light comes with 6700K bulbs--appropriate for use in refugiums.)

OR I was thinking 2 of the mini lights....2X 9W, Actinic and 10K

the measurements are 20.5 in x20.5 x 20.5.....ie: the Oceanic Cube

Limi,
I was looking at the very same light too. Do you like that light? Ya think it would work with my tank? It is an oddball size tank and lighting can be a pain for it, since most lights are 24".

Last edited:

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
I personally would go with a halide...coralife makes very cool hangon tank Halides for around $250...or you could go with the 96 watt 20" light.

Limi310

Superstar Fish
Nov 30, 2005
Charlotte, NC
cinlnk said:
Limi,
I was looking at the very same light too. Do you like that light? Ya think it would work with my tank? It is an oddball size tank and lighting can be a pain for it, since most lights are 24".
I'm really happy with the light, it's great on my 10. As far as it working on your tank not sure.....it's twice the depth. I would wait and see what someone else says :)

IF, and I say IF I knew ANYTHING about wiring,lighting and such, this would be great. BUT I dont know my butt from a hole in the ground when it comes to "retro" kits. I dont even know what to look for. I am very frustrated at this situation. The LFS around here dont really seem to have a clue about this either. They would rather sell me a high price ready made light kit.

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Not to shoot down aquatrader or anything, but be wary of ordering from them....they have been gettin a bad rep because of poor quality and poor customer service lately.

Seiryoku

Large Fish
Apr 5, 2006
Woodland, CA
Just found this under their product descriptions:

*No substitution. If free item is damage on arrival, please report to support@aquatraders.com within 24 hours from the shipment arrival. We offer replacement at a special price.

So if you get broken bulbs you have to pay for them to replace them, seems like a great way for a shady company to make a few extra bucks. I'd rather pay them $5 to use on packaging to ensure the bulds don't arrive broken.

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
I'd be wary of buying anything with a too-good-to-be-true price--I've learned from personal experience with the Seaclone that cheap price means cheap quality. I'd rather buy from a reputable dealer with reputable products that have been tried and are true. Just my 2 cents.