opinions

PlecoCollector

Superstar Fish
Aug 21, 2005
Clinton, NY
I personally wouldn't spend that much money for a 20g filter. Small canisters aren't too outrageously priced, but IMO, buy a normal filter and save quite a bit of money.

Rena FilStar xP2 Canister Filter: ~$80-90
Whisper In-tank 20i: ~$25 (or if you prefer: Whisper In-tank 40i: ~$35)

I'm also a fan of the Whispers (I've got three), so my opinion is a little biased. But that's just a price comparison. So there's my opinion :)

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
If you really want to kick up the filter on your 20 and dont want to go all out on a big canister check out the HOT Magnum. Ive heard good things about them and they look like good units and arent overly expensive.

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
I Think a HOT MAg would benefit your tank greatly as opposed to a HOB type filter. It will give you better water circulation, varied types of filtering, and will cut back on maintence

fishtrap

Large Fish
Mar 19, 2005
Canisters are great for you bio fiter. They can hold massive amounts of media. They tend to be quieter over all. I also like not having a big box behind my tank. I like the pro look of the canister system.

I'm a canister evangelist though. I'll avoid going back to hob to the best of my resources.

IMO...If you can afford it -DO THE CAN!!!:D

BTW... I'm using a fiter for a 169g tank on my 37g! Bigger IS better

fishtrap

Large Fish
Mar 19, 2005
Eheim, Fluval, and others make different media. Coarse for primary, porus for bacteria, pads for fine particles. You'll want to use those three types, at the same time, at minimum.

Carbon removes potentially harmful metals from the water. Some people use them when starting a new tank but a healthy tank more than likley won't need them. DO NOT use carbon if you are setting up a planted tank. It removes trace elements that plants need.

fishtrap

Large Fish
Mar 19, 2005
My guess is marketing -"These refills have carbon -they MUST be better":rolleyes:

The planted tanks that I was reffering to are the heavely planted, high lighting, add fert's type of tank. Many plants will grow with carbon but most will probably grow better without:)

BTW... caniters are ideal for planted tanks also.