Opinions?

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
you really shouldve just gone with a 20-29G tank o_0 you're never going to be happy with the stocking limits of a 10G at your rate 0_0 and it doesn't take up that much more floor space than the 10G so you could definitely fit it

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Like I said though, I didn't get a 20 cause I didn't buy the 10 in the first place. It was given to me.
oh sorry didn't see that in this thread, maybe you said it somewhere else?>

I'm seeing more people okay the dwarf Gourami in a 10G in recent posts so it's probably not so bad.

I would have to say nay to the danios though, or any active fish really, 10Gs is too short a tank for them to swim. I would go the route of your Dwarf Gourami, plus some ottos or other relatively small bottom feeders. Your gourami is going to want the mid-top part of the tank anyway, you shouldn't crowd 1 area of the tank.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
I think a 10g is too small for danios. They're very active fish and need a lot of swimming room. What about 5 white clouds/cherry barbs/or von rio tetras and a female or male betta?

PerenGee

Large Fish
Sep 20, 2008
San Diego
I don't know about the cherry barbs. They get pretty big once they're full grown. I have one small male in my 10 gallon. The guy at the store said he'd be fine alone because they're not true schoolers, but I can tell he gets stressed at times and bullies around the glass fish and oto that I also have. I think it's because the 10g is too small for him. I'm about to get a bigger tank so we'll see if that improves anything.

Jun 21, 2008
Without doing much research on them, I think that would probably be fine. It seems like they stay pretty small. I'm not sure what a good school number for them is, but you could maybe do about 6 to 8 or so in a 10 gallon. Someone correct me if this is wrong.

LadyLail

Large Fish
Dec 31, 2008
NC
www.myspace.com
I really wouldn't do the Danios in a 10g. And mixing them IME and IMO doesn't really allow them to display their true personalities. I've added some more Pearls and Zebras to my 29g to get two small schools in there, and they just kinda mix around. Everyone's temper has calmed down, but it's more chaotic than anything. Then, with my two guppy fry-making machines- it's just crazy in there. I'm actually thinking of taking them back and going a diff route... we'll see. Go with some of the suggestions people have thrown out to you. I personally would stick to one type of schooling fish OR a couple of cool loners- not both for a 10g.

Jun 21, 2008
Good call on the danios needing more space than a 10 gallon, I wasn't thinking about how active they are, just that they stay smallish. Sorry about that freshie. As far as the barbs and the betta go, I've heard that keeping a betta in a community setting can go either way. Sometimes the other fish fin nip the betta, and sometimes the betta can misake other long finned fish for another betta and fight. But as long as you keep an eye on it I would think it would be ok, especially since it was MissFishy, who seems to know what she's talking about, that suggested it.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Bettas are fine in community settings. Especially with other fast fish that aren't nippy, like cherry barbs or harlequin rasboras. The smaller fish won't bother the betta if they have enough friends and the betta wouldn't be able to catch them if he wanted to, so it works out for both sides. It's always nice to have a "centerpiece" fish in the tank. Personally I think cherry barbs are fine in smaller tanks like 10 gallons. They aren't really huge fast swimmers and seem to be happy just plucking along.