Options?

Oct 21, 2005
What are some possible options for a 5 gal. tank?
Would 6 tetra's be over-crowded?
I was thinking 3 different types of platies. Will that work if the tetras are unsuitable for a 5 gal.?

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
I second that ^.

Three normal size platies would be pushing a 5g, but you could fit 3 dwarf platies (if you have a Petsmart around, they are the only one's I've seen with them). The dwarf ones only get up to an inch long... they look like babies all their lives :D.

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
The dwarf platies are very cute, and colorful too -- orange fading to red on the tail. Tetras come in every size from 1 inch to 3 feet. Small tetra species should be ok in small numbers. A betta, snails, dwarf African frogs, even some of the more colorful shrimp would work.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
They shouldn't... I have black neons that don't get sucked up a filter larger than anything you could put on a 5g. If you have a 5-10g filter, they'll be fine.

For tetras, I don't think it particularly matters on the sex (I'm not even sure how you tell in stores because they generally aren't fully grown). If you get platies, you either want all males or females, or a 1 male:2 female ratio, so a single female doesn't constantly get pestered. If you have females, you'll probably end up with babies at some point.