Orange Spotted Purple Starfish

Jul 29, 2005
Sunny Cali & Rainy England
I have what was sold as an Orange Spotted Purple Starfish. From this description can anyone tell me what it might be? I can't find anything on it.

Also, I've just read in the fish profiles that most cleaner wrasse die of starvation within their first couple of weeks of tankhood. Mine has been fine since his Christmas arrival. Perhaps I have a parasitic tank, though he does eat the frozen seafood blend just like everyone else. Success again *GOLDFISH* :(

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Linckia multiflora.

I confess mine did the usual Linckia trick - it starved to death. I've known some people do ok with them tho'.

And yes, it takes a few months for a fish to starve of malnutrition. Tell us how the fish is doing in 2 or 3 years ....

Jul 29, 2005
aresgod said:
a pic would help...lettucce isnt all that nutritious...lots of water fyi.
I'm offering romaine lettuce which I believe is more nutritious than most. Can't do any harm if they are eating it I figure.

Linckia multiflora? It doesn't look like the pictures I can find, but there does appear to be a lot of variation. Certainly a spotted Linckia of sorts. Thanks Wayne.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Please be realistic. Cleaner wrasse are carnivores, eating seaweed really isn't going to cover their nutritional needs. Stuff like lettuce (be it romaine or whatever) is really just like you eating paper - fills you up, zero nutritional value. Even herbivorous Fish can't even digest the stuff!

If you want to have any hope with the wrasse you need to provide a wide variety of meaty and crustacean like foods, so I would be tempted to try shredded fresh shellfish meat, cyclopeeze, HUFA enriched brine, that sort of stuff.

Jul 29, 2005
If you want to have any hope with the wrasse you need to provide a wide variety of meaty and crustacean like foods, so I would be tempted to try shredded fresh shellfish meat, cyclopeeze, HUFA enriched brine, that sort of stuff.
Thanks Wayne. He does eat my meaty seafood blend, along with everyone else, so I'm not too concerned about him. I seem to fair good luck when it comes to housing critters which I shouldn't be able to - Angels, tangs (with no LR) BTA's and dare a say it, a small frag of Goniopora has shown no signs of decline since his introduction in January.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
How can I put this gently.... like Cataphyllia , Goniopora seem to do better in tanks that are not as clean as the typical reef....