OT - garden ponds

Franky099

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
southern Ohio
www.aquabid.com
Hey everyone,

have a question that I thought someone here could probably help me with. About 3 weeks ago, I installed a 100 gallon goldfish pond in my garden. It has a water fall and bio filter with fountain. It has been perfectly clear so far. I was gone last week on vacation, and when I returned....well....its a lovely shade of GREEN now!! Not just the walls and floor of the pond, the water itself is green also. Any suggestions would be very welcome. My family wants me to empty it, scrub it out, and start over.....but I'm betting thats not the best idea....since it will just happen again....right?

Thanks,
Amy

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
That's not off-topic. It's just a big fish tank after all. ;)

You may want to try barley straw. You can find it at many water garden shops and also online. Do you have plants in the pond yet?

Vicky

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Hey Franky hows it goin??

Adding some plants would probably help in the long run...but I know that there are also a million different pond addititives etc in the pond section of most of my LFS's.

My parents have a couple of outdoor ponds...but they dont seem to have much trouble with algae. Dad usually tried to keep some plants growing in there and their filters keep the top from scumming over.

I think quite a few people here have ponds...hopefully someone will have some more input :)

Avalon

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Worth, TX
www.davidressel.com
GW is a result of NH4, or ammonia. The pond is still new and the biological filter is just beginning to establish, so you're likely to have ammonia spikes. Unlike the home aquarium, sunlight will set off massive algae blooms when nutrient parameters are off. You can manually remove the GW by mechanical (diatom) filtration, or with a UV sterilizer. I highly recommend the UV for outdoor ponds on a 24x7 basis. It will help curb algae and eliminate GW, but it also serves as insurance for your fish's health.

Also, since your pond is in your garden, be careful of the ferts or organic leeching that may occur into your pond water from your garden.

Franky099

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
southern Ohio
www.aquabid.com
UV sterilization sounds a bit pricey!! lol.

I cleaned the filters out this morning and did a 15% water change. I'm going this afternoon to get some water lettuce and some other plants to hopefully help it out. My fish all seem to be doing just fine....but I bet they feel like they are blind!

I have some snails in my aquarium....not sure what kind....but NOT the kind that reproduce like mad. Would it be ok to put a few of them in my pond....or will they just eat up my plants?

Thanks
Amy