Other hardy fish

Tomas

Medium Fish
Jan 1, 2006
I am planning on doing the fish cycle soon and I was wondering if there are hardier fish than Zebras? I will have gravel and a filter from an established tank.

PS- The tank is 10 gal

~CHaz

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Comet Goldies work, but really you can't wait and do a fishless? I just don't know why anyone would want to put a fish through a cycle when we have better options.

Tomas

Medium Fish
Jan 1, 2006
Pure said:
Comet Goldies work, but really you can't wait and do a fishless? I just don't know why anyone would want to put a fish through a cycle when we have better options.
I got my reasons, and no, I won't go fishless.

~Chaz

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
If you've got gravel and a filter from an established tank, you should forgo adding a fish just for cycling, and having to remove it later. Just start with 1-2 of the hardier fish that you want anyways, and moniter water quality. There shouldn't be too much cycle if you've got established stuff and you don't add too many fish to start off with.

Tomas

Medium Fish
Jan 1, 2006
CAPSLOCK said:
If you've got gravel and a filter from an established tank, you should forgo adding a fish just for cycling, and having to remove it later. Just start with 1-2 of the hardier fish that you want anyways, and moniter water quality. There shouldn't be too much cycle if you've got established stuff and you don't add too many fish to start off with.
Uhh, I know that, look at the topic lol, what are other hardy fish besides zebras

JWright

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Snowy Upstate New York
www.cnytheater.com
You're asking a question that is fundemantally different from the way most of us think about fishkeeping.

Your question is basically "What fish are likely to not get killed by the stress induced by ammonia and nitrite poisoning?"

That's why you're having a hard time getting someone to answer your question in a straightforward way.

~JW

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
If you've got established gravel and filter media, you could add 2 zebra danios on the same day as those things. There shouldn't be too much of a cycle, and with just 2 fish there shouldn't be much ammonia/nitrites at all... but you'd still want to keep an eye on it for a few days to make sure. A used and grungy filter cartridge is about the same as Biospira, it should instantly cycle the tank if it's got a small enough bioload added.

tessalion

Large Fish
Jun 4, 2006
PA
going along with smalltank ill have to say that ive found whiteskirt tetras to be very hardy (they survived my silly newbie phase where i had them in a fish bowl). Just don't use neon tetras.

Aug 28, 2005
Missouri, USA
Pure, you're such an enigma to endorse fishless cycling but eschew chemicals otherwise. ;) I know, I know, ammonia is natural...but so is copper sulfate! :)

Zebra danios are purportedly the toughest thing going. Might also apply to leopard and pearl danios, and they're cheap enough to make trying it not costly ($0.89-1.29). Bettas are naturally resistant, and quite hardy, but you don't hear much about folks using them to cycle.

Among native US fish, Gambusia (mosquito fish) are as tough as they come. Can't kill them with a lead hammer and a bottle of Mr. Clean.

Cheers!