Oto-cat & Betta

izabeau

Medium Fish
Mar 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Quick question,
I have a male betta in a tank by himself, that all of a sudden is having terrible algae. I have heard that you can put an otocat in with a betta and the betta would not bother it...and it will do it's job and clean the algae?? Has anyone heard anything about this?? Is it safe to put an otocat with a betta?? I don't want the otacat to get beaten up or his/her fins nipped off.:confused:

izabeau

Medium Fish
Mar 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
I'll keep an eye out and see if he nips at the oto, if he does I'll just put him back into my community tank...if that doesn't work maybe a snail?? Any idea's on how to get rid of the algae if the oto doesn't work?

izabeau

Medium Fish
Mar 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Well just an update... I have had my betta and 1 of my otto cats in the 2.5 gallon tank...and the 1st day or so was a little ruff, but my betta seems to b ignoring the otto now, and my otto is happy eating the algae and the cucumber I put in for him...his fins are fine so he's not being nipped...Yay!!!

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
A 2.5 is a bit small iz! Most of my algea betta woes is because I have way too much light for my tank. A 2.5 will not produce enough long-term algea for an otto, so you can return him or feed him with algea wafers, or move him to the 20 gal you have.

izabeau

Medium Fish
Mar 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Thanks Iggy!! I've been feeding him bits of algae wafers along with cucumber, and I don't plan on keeping him in there for much longer, I'm going to eventually put him back in the 20 gallon for sure!! I'll try getting a dimmer light for my 2.5 gallon though...hopefully that will help. I don't have the tank near a window, or direct sunlight though so I don;t know what;s causing all the algae?? The water is about 78F and the ammo, nitrate and nitrites are all 0.00?? Any thoughts??

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
My 3gals have those twist-cone style fluorescent (sp?) bulbs instead of the standard 15w incondescent. They fluorescents are nice because they give much more light (40w) , use less power, last 5x longer and product about 1/2 the heat. The only down side is all that extra light helps the algea grow really really well!

I actually had to put some insect screen fiberglass mesh in front of the bulb to reduce the amount of light, to try and slow down the algea growth.

No luck so far, and every week I need to clean it out again.