Oto Fish

jade71301

Large Fish
Jan 26, 2006
Quebec, Canada
Ok I have a 5 gal tank and bought an oto fish to get rid of my algae on the back glass of my tank, since my million snails don't be doing the job. Ya have tons of baby snails infesting my tank along with one big and medium size snail. I also have a cory fish and 6 guppies all in my 5 gal tank. Now what I want to know is one oto in my case enough? Cause i read they have to be in groups but since i have the cory will it be enough with 1? Thanks for your responses.
P.S. I know what most of you are saying its too over crowded my tank, but to me lol it looks empty cause all my guppies are always stuck in a group. Also one of my guppies is a feeder and he is really small and won't get bigger. anyway what can I say love my fish and have no room for a bigger tank, but I am not buying anymore fush unless I should get an oto :(

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Ottos are fine on their own, they may or may not take care of your algae issue though, they mostly like diatoms/brown algae. I would not get anymore fish for your tank, and I hope that you are very diligent with your water changes or things could go bad pretty fast. btw the cory should really be in groups of 3+ so if you're thinking about taking anything back it'd be that cory.

jade71301

Large Fish
Jan 26, 2006
Quebec, Canada
ok I just went to check on my oto and he is cleaning the gravel and glass which is good. Also noticed my cory is more active now so maybe he was lonely. The seem to get a long so I think everything will be ok. I do water changes ever week or so.