otocinclus question

phin

Large Fish
Oct 21, 2009
I just picked up an otocinclus last night from my LFS. I only picked up 1, I read they should be in groups of at least 3. How important is this to the well being of the fish? Aside from tank algae and algae wafers is there anything I should supplement his diet with? I read some green veggies, but aren't they omnivores, shouldn't I feed him some kind of pellets or something?

Feb 27, 2009
I've always kept them in groups as I was told they are less stressed that way. They don't school in the sense that tetras do, but they hide a lot if they don't have their own kind around.

Their bioload is extremely small compared to other fish their own size. Many consider a group of 3 or 4 otos (2" each) the same as one 2" fish of another species.

They are not omnivores. They are herbivores. Algae, algae wafers, squash, zucchini, cucumber, spinach, etc. can all be offered. But they prefer algae from my experience, so will not take other veggies if algae is available.

Last edited:

phin

Large Fish
Oct 21, 2009
Good to know. Thanks. I'll pick up a couple more and make sure they have plenty of algae available. I've got lots of brown algae on my anubias and driftwood and some patches of green algae growing near the top of the driftwood as well. If that all gets eaten I'll start dropping in algae wafers - hopefullly the oto's can beat the ghost shrimp out for it.

phin

Large Fish
Oct 21, 2009
I plan on getting a pair of cockatoo apistos so I don't want the tank too overcrowded when the cockatoos are put in.

Ottocinclus

Otocinclus are a popular aquarium fish, and very good algae eaters. They are especially useful in small planted aquariums.

Algae eater is a common name for many bottom-dwelling fishes that feed on algae. Algae eaters are important for the fishkeeping hobby and many are commonly stocked by the trade....

Otto's are more suitable for the job in smaller aquaria than many of the larger Loricariid relatives such as plecostomus

Water quality should be kept clean for these fish. As Ottos like company, they should be kept in groups, unlike most other plecos. In a 10 gallon tank, i would have no less that 4-5, and only suppliment their diet with algae wafers or flakes if your tank has no natural algae growth, (Few Tanks Are So Lucky) and i personally dont mind seeing green algae growth on the back glass or sides, Thats a sign of a healthy tank, if its not excessive. The Ottos are a great little fish, and ive had them breed in a tank thats well maintained and their demands are met. Of course any additional carnivores will quickly take care of the babies :(
]

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
ditto, you wont be overstocking if you have 5 in your tank.
I notice that they tend to clean a tank free of brown algae first, and them move on to the green algae or w/e else your tank has.
note that theyre only capable of eating new growths of alage. they are not powerful enough to scrape off older, more tough to remove alage like forms of spot algae..

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
What everybody else said! :D Hehe. I had three in my 45gal and they were constantly hiding, only coming out at night, even though my female bettas didn't harrass them at all. I added three more last night (for a total of six) and now they're out in force just chilling on the glass. I love the little buggers! They're so adorable to watch! And if you use the AqAdvisor, you'll find that OrangeCones is right, they don't add much to your bioload. There was no difference between having three in my tank and having six (if there was, it was maybe a 1% difference). So, the more the merrier!

phin

Large Fish
Oct 21, 2009
The cockatoo's aren't supposed to get bigger than 3 inches or so.

Yeah, I don't know about the ghost shrimp. I'm letting my ghost shrimp get bigger before I put the cockatoos in. Several are 3-4x as big as there were when they were purchased. I also plan on adding a lot more plant cover before I add the cockatoos. I have a bunch of boiled oak leaves on the bottom of the tank and some broken flower pots plus driftwood. I'm hoping with all this there will be enough refuge for some shrimp to hide and survive. If not, oh well.

phin

Large Fish
Oct 21, 2009
So I bought 2 more oto's a couple weeks ago to keep my first one company. Well that didn't work out too well. For the first few days all three would hang out near eachother eat algae an look good. about a week later I found one of the new guys kind of listless, rocking with the current. he wouldn't swim, but when I tried to remove him with the net he got down into some anubias and I haven't seen him since (I think the shrimp took care of him). Well the other 2 were doing just fine until yesterday I noticed the other new guy with a sunken in belly and just floating aroun in the bottom of the tank. if I nudged him with the net he would swim a bit and then float around. He didn't make it through the night.

My original one seems to be doing well though. He hangs out in the corner of the tank near the heater all day and moves about at night, has a full belly and generally looks healthy.

I have 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, no nitrate test kit, but change 20% water once a week religiously. pH ~7.5. Lots of yummy brown algae and some green algae.

Is it something I might have done that killed these guys. I'd like to get more buy if they keep dieing then I'm just wasting my $.

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
The hardest thing with these guys is that when you buy them you want to make sure they are eating so a nice plump belly is key. They are easily stressed out of eating... Try and make the acclimation as nice as possible and make sure you have plenty of algae for them when they are introduced, which it seems like you do.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
yea having a lot of in-tank algae on hand is very important. if you do and your water's clean I'm sure any oto you buy has a good chance of making it.
I bought a bunch of otos and one had torn fins, with a huge head gash in it and another was completely emaciated. I didn't think those would make it but 3 months later here they are all fat and healed up :D

phin

Large Fish
Oct 21, 2009
All right then I'll give it another shot and pick some more up tomorrow. I hope these guys make it.