Otto and a Betta?

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
Is this a good combination? Not sure if my betta will be aggressive towards the Otto or not.

I need something to take care of the brown/green algae growing on the sides of my tank. Thought an otto would be good for the algae.

Are there snails that eat brown or green algae?

tessalion

Large Fish
Jun 4, 2006
PA
As with everything betta, it really depends on just how aggressive a personality your particular fish has. However i've heard of many, many people successfully keeping a betta with an otto or two without any problems so unless your betta is on the super aggressive side i think it should work.

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
Works for me, usually he just ignores him, occasionally he will flare up and 'rush him' (meaning he swims at him super fast nd scares him, but turns before he gets too close, never nips at him), but other than that they work well together, and with the snail, but he doesn't do anyhting for algae, that's Ottos job.

SANND

Large Fish
Jul 20, 2005
Washington, DC
I'll 4th that. I've had my oto with a VERY aggressive betta with no problems. The betta was definately interested in the otto but there were never any skirmishes.

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
Hmm..thanks for the input. I have my CT Betta in an Eclipse 3 right now. The tank is starting to get infested with brown algae and I'm tired of scraping every week...hopefully an otto will be tolerated.

Limi310

Superstar Fish
Nov 30, 2005
Charlotte, NC
I also have a 5gal Hex with a Betta and 2 ottos..no problems at all. The Betta doesn't pay any attention to them. The ottos, along with the MTS snails keep the tank so clean, I actually have to add algea tablets for them to eat.

SANND

Large Fish
Jul 20, 2005
Washington, DC
Limi, did it take long for your otto's to get accept the algae wafers? My algae production is lagging behind my otto and I'm thinking he's going to have to switch soon.

Limi310

Superstar Fish
Nov 30, 2005
Charlotte, NC
SANND said:
Limi, did it take long for your otto's to get accept the algae wafers? My algae production is lagging behind my otto and I'm thinking he's going to have to switch soon.
Actually no, and it surprised me a little when they ate them because I've heard other people say that they usually won't. I guess I have weird ones...........either that or they were really hungry.

When I was moving a couple months ago, I had to throw them in with the betta because I took down the 10gal tank the ottos were in and they probably were in the Betta tank for a week without any food (no algea). So when I popped the algae wafer in there, they went right to it and started eating.

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
wow. which algae wafers do you guys use? I used to have an otto that I tried to feed with algae wafers..but didnt take. Apparantly they only eat the brown algae wafers..not the green kind that are commonly sold. I havent been able to find an algae wafer made for ottos yet...

tessalion

Large Fish
Jun 4, 2006
PA
VirgoWolf said:
My oto ate algae wafers the first day I got him, and the new ones I got last week have been eating so much there bellies are so fat it makes them teeter! LOL
thats gotta be a sight...ottos are just so cute, teetering ottos...thats gotta be cuteness overload *SUNSMILE*

Limi310

Superstar Fish
Nov 30, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Grymatta said:
wow. which algae wafers do you guys use? I used to have an otto that I tried to feed with algae wafers..but didnt take. Apparantly they only eat the brown algae wafers..not the green kind that are commonly sold. I havent been able to find an algae wafer made for ottos yet...
Nope, I use the green 'Hikari Tropical Algae Wafers'.

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
Yep, I use whatever I have on hand, they've eaten Hakiri algae wafers, Wardley algae disks (although not a favorite), and I've had the best luck so far (with my royal pleco too, he/she won't touch Wardley) with Omega One Veggie Rounds.

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
I have more brown algae than green...which is why I was thinking Ottos. I may pick up a snail too. Tried Amano shrimp but my betta chased them to death..