Otto Watch

shimmercat

Medium Fish
Jun 8, 2005
Southern Maryland
My tank was getting kinda scuzzy so on Thursday I went out and bought myself two little ottos, fully expecting at least one to die. It's now Saturday, and I still have two little ottos! :D Although my tank is very clean now. They do a wonderful job!

Should I set out some rocks in a jar for them, so they have more food? The tank is now SO clean I'm hoping they don't starve to death.

Tarah

Small Fish
May 13, 2005
Not fair! I bought 2 ottos a few weeks ago, and lost both within 48 hours. :( Thus my tank still has algae on the glass even though I have two previously undiscovered ramshorn snails that are slowly working on it. I'm thinking about getting an algae scraper and a couple cories instead of risking another otto purchase.

kll1221

Large Fish
Mar 2, 2005
Michigan
ottos are awesome. They are a bit sensitive though. Just feed them algae wafers like the previos posters said.

Cories won't eat brown algae that I know of.

fishbrain

Large Fish
Oct 2, 2003
Central NY, USA
www.geocities.com
shimmercat said:
My tank was getting kinda scuzzy so on Thursday I went out and bought myself two little ottos, fully expecting at least one to die. It's now Saturday, and I still have two little ottos! :D Although my tank is very clean now. They do a wonderful job!

Should I set out some rocks in a jar for them, so they have more food? The tank is now SO clean I'm hoping they don't starve to death.
What size tank? Just wondering because I can't imagine it being too big if they did that well in a couple days. Otos are awesome tho I agree! I have 1 that remains alive..... I think, it's rarely spotted. I keep thinking about buying a dozen to divid up between my tanks but, I have a feeling not many would survive quarantine (sp?).

shimmercat

Medium Fish
Jun 8, 2005
Southern Maryland
It's just a little 10g tank, so yeah, they didn't have that much to clean. As far as feeding algae wafers, I have loaches so I drop in wafers anyway. The ottos have never seemed interested in them, and then the loaches eat them all up. :c Well, that's good for my loaches, but not so good for my ottos.

Yeah, I agree that it isn't fair! I actually only wanted one otto. ^^;; My boyfriend is talking pretty seriously about getting a tank, though, so maybe I'll just give the other one to him. With such a small tank, I'm having to be pretty cautious about overstocking, and with two ottos, it means I can't really increase my rasbora school. :c