Ottos Feeding Question

kll1221

Large Fish
Mar 2, 2005
Michigan
I have 2 ottos in my 55 gallon tank. I thought they ate brown algae but they aren't. My tank is being overtaken. Are they starving? Should I feed them something else? I am afraid of the algae wafers because my nitrites are high right now. Should I just go ahead and clean the algae myself (I am not opposed to this)? I just want to make sure I don't inadvertly starve them.

Thanks so much

Kris

Jun 28, 2003
Scottsdale, Arizona
Visit site
I think I may know whats going on here:

It is normally suggested you have an Oto -per- 10 gallons. So a 55 gallon tank that you say is, overrun with algae? And two little guys to do the job? They may be happy little buggers as they are. Hold your horses, and see if they start to pick away at it. The other way you know your Otos are happy is, if they look like they have full bellies and are pooping like crazy.

Now would you happen to have any plants? It is often noted in Oto profiles that they eat the algae off of plants, is that your problem or is it on the glass? Because if it's on the glass then feel free to scrape it off. That's one of the #1 ways to combat algae.

My best advice is wait and see what happens. If it's really that bad, scrape the glass but leave algae on the plants, decorations, or whatever you have in there. They'll feed off of that. I've never found a Oto to be fond of a algae wafer...

Bruckm

Large Fish
Mar 31, 2004
Texas
Visit site
SAEs are the answer to that algae question. Otos I don't think will eat that. Besides, with only 2 in a 55G you won't see much of a difference. Buy a zucchini and boil it for less than 5 mins. slice it 1/4" and drop a slice in the tank right before bedtime. the otos will eat that as well as your corys. Boil it long enough to sink but not too long so that you cook all of the nutrients out of it.

Find REAL SAEs, not the fish listed as 'Algae Eaters.' They will eat algae as juveniles bot not when there are adults, plus they become aggressive. If you can find REAL SAEs they (3) will take care of that algae fast. They like the occasional zucchini too.

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
Provided your tank is not a room divider tank, then I'd scrape the front glass, maybe the sides, but not clean the back. With 2 otos in the 55gallon, as opposed to the recommended 5, they should be fine with only half the glass to graze off of.