ottos with puffers

ram man

Superstar Fish
Apr 16, 2005
Arizona
well, i am turning my 10 gallon into a dwarf puffer tank, i got a gift surtificate and want to get some ottos. are these hardy? i have heard of alot of them dying after about 2 days, is this common?

Jan 27, 2004
Nipomo CA
The are long lived(for a small fish around 2-3 years) if they are kept in a good enviroment just like anyfish. I have heard the same thing and experience that were I bought 4 for my 55 gallon and then the next day one was dead but the others lived for a long time. Though I believe they are a little more senstive to Nitrates and other conditions in the water. I have found that they are one of the best algae eaters out there even for their small size.

I would be a little worried about the puffers nipping the otto's fins. but I dont think that they would be able to actually kill the otto more just stress it to death.

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Otos are one of the only fish reported to be successfully kept with dwarf puffers. It is strongly recommended you do a 20+% water change right before getting them. They are not tolerant to anything less than good water quality.

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
Congrats on becoming a puffer owner! They are awesome and have lots of personality, you will definitely enjoy them. Like Pure said, they are one of the few fish that have been successfully kept with puffers. You can sometimes keep shrimp with dwarf puffers too. You can find a lot of information about dwarf puffers at www.dwarfpuffers.com Good luck :)