Over circulation?

Oct 18, 2014
In my 75 gallon tank I currently runny a filter pumping 350 gph and a circulation pump doing 650gph. I have the filter output dead center in the back pointing towards the front right corner and the pump in the back right corner pointing to the front right corner. Just wondering if this is too much circulation?
Thanks

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
A good amount of water movement helps your filtration, esp. if it is situated in such a way to push detritus towards the filter intake or keep it suspended longer so that more gets filtered out. How are the fish and plants responding (I assume by the name they are live plants?)? If they are species that appreciate some water movement, it should be fine - especially if there are places with less flow for them to utilize as needed. That amount of flow sounds fine to me unless you have primarily fish that really prefer calm water.

Oct 18, 2014
Yes it is a heavily planted tank they r all live plants but they r all river based so should be OK I'm more worried about the fish I know my catfish loves the flow but I don't know much bout the angels or the Ballas I have two of each along with a birchir, peacock eal, and a red tail shark

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Balas should appreciate flow from what I know. Redtail shark also. Angels prefer calm water but I've never seen them have an issue in a normal tank situation. Not sure about the others - as long as they either have places where they can settle out of the flow for a bit, or they aren't seeming to have any difficulties with the flow, you should be all set.

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
Yep, as long as your fish and plants tolerate it and stay healthy, it's all good. Based on what I've experienced, my planted tanks do much better with very gentle circulation.

My Oscar and severum tank (75g), I've got a Aquaclear 110 and a Marineland C360 on it. Lots of water circulation to deal with these two messy fish. No live plants in this tank.