Over Filtering? Too much water flow?

DarthPadre

Large Fish
Feb 8, 2009
I'm setting up a 55G freshwater tank and have both a 200 GPH hang-on power filter, and a 200 GPH in-tank filter (power head with direct attachment of sponge and coal cartridge filtration). If I use both is there a chance to "over filter"? Will increased water flow stress the fish? Would I actually gain any benefits from having two filters?

Thanks in advanced.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Your water will be well filtered, I just wouldn't put any bettas or the like in the tank that aren't strong swimmers. Make sure your tank is biologically cycled, not just mechanically with your many filters!

TMony

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2008
Its always good to have more filtration than less. Like others said above, you can not have too much filtration only too much current. You should be just fine with the majority of fish.

Also, like Missfishy said; make sure to cycle your tank before you do anything else. Not sure if you are new to the hobby or not, but it would be a good idea to read the stickies in this forum regarding the proper cycling of your aquarium.
Good Luck and Welcome to MFT.

Feb 8, 2009
Follow up questions...

Yes I am definitely cycling the tank for a bio filter before fish are added. I have an established 10 gal., so will be using a comb of material from that tank and adding ammonia. For now I'm waiting for my plants (silk) and driftwood to be shipped to start the tank.

I do have a couple of follow up questions. I have read that freshwater clams will also filter the lose particles of food out of the water. How effective are they? Are there any additional precautions I should know? I guess, are they really worth it? I was planning on having a small (3) pack/school of cory cats for bottom feeders, will they accomplish the same thing as the clams? And (a side question related to cory) I have read that the peppered cory (Corydoras paleatus) should be kept in groups of 6 or more. Is this truly necessary? Is 3 okay?

Thanks again. This site rocks!

TMony

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2008
Three cories would be fine. I would go that route before I would use clams. I have read that clams can be an effective filter, but haven't used them myself.

Last edited:

Chris_A

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
To effectively keep clams alive they need good flow (so the food actually gets to them) and in most cases you would need to feed them appropriate food. They are "filter feeders" but I would not call them good "filters" for the average tank.

Chris

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Clams are really something you keep to enjoy, not something you keep to filter your water for you. They need to be kept fed with appropriate food and water flow to get it to them like stated above.

TMony

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2008
Clams are really something you keep to enjoy, not something you keep to filter your water for you. They need to be kept fed with appropriate food and water flow to get it to them like stated above.
I was too vague in my last post. I agree with MissFishy, I just didn't elaborate enough above. They do need to be fed and cared for, but they are a useful water filter as well.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
well with enough clams they can filter insane amounts of water. look at some of the areas in the great lakes where the water is crystal clear where 20 years ago it was all pretty much mud water. thing is they were an extreamly invasive speacies that are doing it. the zebra mussel. whatever u do make sure u never get any of them. they are illegal for one and they will accually breed so prolificaly that they will completly fill ur filter intake tubes and just destroy ur entire tank. they are so bad in lake earie they have to shut down bessy nuclear plant casue they will totally fill the 9 foot wide water intake tubes. and local laws prevent certin clams from harvest as well and u will need a legal fishing liscense in most states to be in possestion of them. that is if they are a native species that u gather from local rivers/lakes/streams.

I have thought about clams myself and thought it would be cool to watch one the size of a quarter grow to be the size of a baseball.