OverFlow Feeding

PuNanny

Large Fish
Feb 6, 2006
Ramstein Air Force Base, Germany
Just wondering if any one has the problem of having to turn off the oversystem meaning the return pump from the sump before throwing in the flakes. In my tank if i leave it on all the flakes float and go right into the overflow box. Just wondering what you guys to fix this problem or not.

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
I don't have the same set-up but I had a similar situation with filter feeding food getting taken out of the system by the skimmer.

Now I just turn off my powerheads and skimmer while I spott fead my tank and then after a few minutes turn the powerheads back on, but I keep the skimmer off for the next hour or so...

shwnicus

Large Fish
Feb 22, 2006
Kirkwood, MO
when i was running my 75 fish only, i had a small blue foam square with a plastic liner that i'd set at the opposite end from the overflow. it would float the top and you could press it to the side of the tank and would stay there fro 20 minutes or so. would put the flakes there. worked so well that the fish would gather there at feeding time. no flakes got to the overflow. i think you can get it from petsmart or petco or one of those for $2 or so. just take it out when feeding is done so it doesnt gather stagnant water.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
If you hold the flakes under the surface for a second or two, they'll sink and eliminate the floating problem. Or if you soak them in tank water for a few minutes before feeding (method A is easier).

Jul 29, 2005
Sunny Cali & Rainy England
I found that if you attach a long ziptie onto something smooth and round (such as a pieve of pvc pipe) at surface level, near the mouth of the overflow, you can spin the ziptie around the pvc to make it like a gate that closes and stops floating food going into the overflow. It stops the skimming action and stops flakes being dragged toward the inlet.

Don't forget to swing the ziptie back open when the fish have finished feeding - you want that skimming action.

Hope this makes sense and helps :)