Overly Powerful Heater?

Nov 25, 2007
Today I stupidly left my heater out of the water whilst it was on then resubmerged it and it exploded.

I was in a rush to buy a new one because I didn't want my fishies to freeze.

I didn't check the ratings on the heaters tho. I brought a 200w Visi-Therm heater (Reccommended for 100 - 150 litre tanks).

My tank is only 85 litres of water and so I think I really neaded the 150w.

The new heater is now forming air bubbles on the outside of its glass casing. Does this mean trouble? And should I try and replace the 200w for the 150??

Thanks for your help!!

Sam

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
No, you should be alright. Just make sure to monitor the temperature as a too powerful heater can heat up a tank quickly. If it is on the lowest setting and is still too warm, you can usually pop the knob on top off and then manually turn the dial down.

cchase85

Large Fish
Jun 6, 2006
New England
The bubbles usually just appear on new additions to a tank. They don't have anything to do with the operation of the heater.

The heater will be fine in a tank of that size.

Nov 25, 2007
Thats all good but I'm thinking... I could probably still take it back and swap it for the 150W. Would this have any benefit except for obviouslly reducing my elec. bill?

cchase85

Large Fish
Jun 6, 2006
New England
To be honest, I don't know that it would reduce your electric bill, either. A 200W may be higher wattage but it will work close to proportionally less than a 150W because it's cycle time will have a longer off-period.