Votes: 14 60.9%
  • No

Votes: 9 39.1%

• Total voters

Zman16

Large Fish
Aug 1, 2005
Pennsylvannia
Is there such a thing as an overplanted tank? I'm just curious to know. Since fish tank can be overcrowded with fish, could they be overcrowded in plants?

Avalon

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Worth, TX
www.davidressel.com
Sure it can! Let's say you plant it with stem plants covering 100% of the bottom. That's not going to leave fish much room to swim around, particularly as the tank grows in. Fish are not animals that like to hang out in one corner all day...they like to move around freely. That's why we tend to plant for the fish as well as our own aesthetics. There are a multitude of compounding issues concerning too many plants. Let's just say that too many can be too many!

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
I have often had my tanks overplanted, to the point that little light was able to get to the bottom of the tank. SOme plants will have rotting leaves near the bottom if no light, or not enough light, can get to them.

Also, fish do like to move around. One good thing about an overplanted tank is that you can sell or give away plants. If your tank is overplanted, I am sure that there are a lot of ppl on here that would likt to PM you about plants.

discus4everGrl

Superstar Fish
May 24, 2005
Chesapeake, Va
Well if it's over planted, you will know becuase the leaves on all the stem plants will fall off because light won't get to the bottom of the tank. However, if planted in proper rows that are staggered you can still get quite a few plants in a tank.