Overstocked in 10 gallon

raseii

Small Fish
Mar 28, 2005
Hi,
I have a 10 gallon with a penguin 125 bio-wheel filter. Currently I have 2 swordtails, 5 serpae tetras and 2 cory's. Would you consider this overstocked or not? They seem to spend alot of time on the bottom picking at the gravel so there is not much action going on up top. Is it possible I could ad another fish that would like to hang out more on top? I like the blue Rams or the Gouramis, but I am not sure if I am already overstocked.
Thanks

Sep 16, 2004
Fort McMurray, AB
Visit site
Sounds like you're getting a little on the full side (1 gallon per inch of fish). You could probably add one or two little fish, but I wouldn't add a gourami or blue ram. I personally think both should be given more space. No worries though...I'm sure you have room for another aquarium!! LOL

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
It could be worse. A blue gourami will get a bit big for your tank though, and a blue ram, as well as being fragile , is a bottom dweller

derajer

Large Fish
Mar 16, 2005
Ankeny, Iowa
Before you decide to go adding fish you might want to look into why your fish are all picking at the gravel, do they have enough food? do you have enough plants or rocks to hide in higher up in the tank? Fish do not like to leave safety and if you haven't provided an environment to make them feel safe towards the top of your tank then they probably won't go there. If you do decide to go over "the limit" add live plants to the tank to help handl the bioload. I have rarely followed "the rules" when it comes to stocking my tank and I haven't had a problem yet

dss2004

Large Fish
Oct 1, 2004
Frisco, Texas
www.freewebs.com
Live plants will only help the bioload if they are growing well, which means proper lighting and basic nutrient provisions. Dead plants only increase the bio-load of tanks as the decaying plant matter accumulate and release ammonia.

That being said sarpae tetras aren't the smallest tetras in the world but I don't they really mess a tank up too much. What kind of corys? Some of the smaller corys do well in ten gallons and wouldn't stress the bio-filter too much. Swordtails will probably get larger than you think. I wouldn't add a hatchet fish as they like to be in school just like your tetras and probably wouldn't fair as well without a group to shoal with.

Blue rams are usually not a great idea for heavily stocked tanks as they are very sensitive to elevated nitrate levels and chemicals. I would also be worried that they would conflict with the corys. Maybe a dwarf gourami?

I have a couple of platys that move about the entire tank. In a ten gallon I doubt you will find small enough fish that will remain soley at the top of your tank. The smaller dimensions forces them to move around the tank.