Overstocked?

H2O

Medium Fish
Oct 4, 2005
SW Michigan
Hello all!

I am aware of the 1"=1 gallon (adult fish size) rule, but wanted to get a second opinion on whether my tank is overstocked.
I recently added the gourami and rainbowfish-everyone seems ok, water levels ok, but seems slightly crowded. I had it understocked for so long, I can't tell whether or not I'm just being silly.

50 Gallon
3 Angels
5 Congo Tetra
4 Rainbowfish
3 Pearl Gourami
2 Dwarf Bristlenose Pleco

Thanks!

JNevaril

Large Fish
Jul 10, 2005
Lincoln, Nebraska
The 1'' per 1 gallon rule does not really apply.

it really has to do with the temperment of the fish, the amount of waste they produce, and how 'stable' your tank is.

Now, in my experience, I have never really kept any of the fish you mention, but I do have an angel...and he is quite aggresivie.

From what many other people have said in other posts, you may be pushing it, epescially with the 3 angels...b/c they can get mean, and nippy.

Someone who keeps similar fish will have a more educated answer...I just keep cichlids and puffers......and 1 angel.....and a betta..

H2O

Medium Fish
Oct 4, 2005
SW Michigan
Thanks Jenn for your quick reply.

2 of my angels are almost adult, 1 is junior. Oddly enough, I've never had a problem with angels being aggressive, except in the past when I put too small of fish in with them.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
My angels are only aggressive between themselves, and the gourami chases two of them.

What kind of rainbowfish are they? I'd say you aren't really impossibly overstocked, but you're probably full. Watch the gouramis for aggression with each other.

Charlius

Medium Fish
Sep 18, 2005
What JNevaril said about the tempermant, amount of waste and how stable the tank is are all criteria for how stocked a tank can be rather than the 1" per gallon thing. In addition, I would like to also add that you have to look at how active a particular fish is. Say you have a really small fish that zips around the tank with a lot of speed, and then you have a bigger fish that doesn't move around much. Which fish do you think requires more water/more space?? I have no idea where this 1" per gallon thing came from, there are so many exceptions that I have never used this rule. Good luck with your fish!

discus4everGrl

Superstar Fish
May 24, 2005
Chesapeake, Va
If you must use a mathmatical equation I would go with the length of the tank times the width of the tank divided by 23 for freshwater and 43 for saltwater. That gives you the total inches of fish for that space. Remember that these "rules" are for adult size fish and you must only buy what your fish will grow up to be.

Supposedly, a freshwater fish needs 23 cubic inches per inch of body to account for gas exchange and wastes.

tydirian

Medium Fish
Sep 3, 2005
Houston, TX
I had almost this exact tank at one point minus the rainbows but I had several cories. I have had problems keeping multiple plecos in a single tank unless there are things to break up the space in the tank. I do like to keep them in sexed pairs (one male & one female) and that seems to work pretty well. I think you are fine if you are keeping up with regular tank maintenance. None of the fish are jumping out of the tank are they?

Zman16

Large Fish
Aug 1, 2005
Pennsylvannia
I don't think its overcrowded but really watch out for agression with the angels. Mine are agressive to each other sometimes but my one friend who has 3 angels are constantly attacking one another. Its scary :eek: .

R0UNDEYEZ

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2004
I have no idea where this 1" per gallon thing came from, there are so many exceptions that I have never used this rule. Good luck with your fish!
I don't think it was ever susposed to be a rule set in stone.. Just more of a guidline for people new to the hobby so they dont go crazy stocking their new 10 gallon with 3 bala sharks, a pacu,a half dozen neon tetras, and a couple common plecos :)

hyunelan2

Large Fish
Jun 1, 2005
Near Chicago, IL
I'd say you're ok. Since I seem to be one of the rainbowfish representatives: most of the 'common' rainbowfish can grow to between 4-6". They are pretty slow growers though. I'd say between the rainbows and the gourami, when full grown that tank be a little tight on space, especially when you throw the angels on top of that. I think you're alright though, as long as you don't add many more fish.

Overstocked is kind of a case-to-case thing. As long as you are able to keep the fish all alive, happy, and healthy - you're not overstocked.