overstocked?

Feb 10, 2006
Bay Area, CA
I'm thinking about adding one more bronze cory to my tank.

Here's what I have so far: 1 male swordtail, 2 female platies, and 1 bronze cory in a 5 gallon tank.

If I followed the 2 inch per gallon rule then I am permitted 10 inches.
I've read that swordtails can grow up to 2.7 in, platies up to 1.6(x2), and bronze cory to 2 in(x2). If I added the inches all together with cory I want to buy, it equals 9.9 inches.

Should I buy the guy? I've read that cories are quite sociable and I don't want it to be lonely.

I'm also willing to do more water changes if need be.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Swordtails grow to about 4", platies to over 2"... the cory size could be right though. I would return the swordtail and replace him with another cory... swordtails need something over a 10g, and your cory would appreciate a friend.

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
The whole stocking issue...man, oh man...don't get me started! I guess you could say that my tendency is to "overstock" from the standpoint of the actual "bio-load" that is put on a given setup.
And this 'bio-load' is precisely what the whole "inch per gallon" rules are aimed at...they don't properly take into account the actual swimming space and/or behavioral needs of the fish in question.

If you have a decent filter, keep up with maintenance, and have a reasonable idea of what you're doing, then you could probably have way more fish than the old "inch per gallon" rule. Exactly how much more depends on you and the species of fish that you choose.

That's the best answer I can give, based on the plans you're thinking of for your tank. Now, if you were talking about sticking a Jack Dempsey or something in there, then obviously my answer would be different.

This is my long, drawn-out way of saying that no one can really answer this for you...it all depends on your expertise and comfort-level with the whole stocking/overstocking issue. Much of what we do in the hobby is and will continue to be "trial and error." If something doesn't work out the way you had planned, learn from it, and correct it...making sure that you don't repeat the same mistake(s).

Sorry if this isn't the clear-cut answer you were looking for.:eek:
Big Vine

Feb 10, 2006
Bay Area, CA
CAPSLOCK: Whoops, wrong measurements. I'm planning on upgrading to 20 G+ after the summer (for my swordtail). But I have no intent to return my red-swordtail. He was my first fish (since I restarted the tank in Feb 2006).

Big Vine: It seems you're always among the first to respond to my posts. Thank you so much.

I understand what you're trying to say even though it wasn't "clear-cut". The reply was actually very concise. Like the replies on Avalon's sticky, there are so many variables or factors that come into play with this hobby. I guess I'll experiment with more fish when I get a larger tank.

Hm...I don't think I'll be getting the 2nd cory.

Thanks for the quick replies guys!!!

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
TheFighterFish,

TheFighterFish said:
I'm planning on upgrading to 20 G+ after the summer (for my swordtail).
That changes things...a little bit. On the one hand, you could probably get away with adding some fish just before getting your new larger tank because you'd know that it would be there to free up some space once it has cycled. On the other hand, adding new fish is bound to put some stress on your current setup, and you may very well end up introducing diseases/parasites with new additions. It would be a shame to have that happen right before getting some of them into the new 20 gal. tank---Much better to wait until you actually have it and then they'd have their own new, big 20 gal. quarantine tank!

Still though, you could probably add a cory and be just fine...sounds like the cory you have could use some company down at the bottom of the tank anyway.

TheFighterFish said:
Big Vine: It seems you're always among the first to respond to my posts. Thank you so much.
Hehe. You're welcome.
Part of it is coincidental, but I do try to respond to people who really need help, and especially to those who sound like they'll stand to benefit from it...even in just some small way. Even if it is in a rather long-winded manner.;)

Big Vine

Mar 24, 2006
Pennsylvania
I'm not much of an expert, but I'd get the second cory - I have two and they rarely (if ever) separate. I've read that most corys are shoaling fish, and really do well in groups of three or more. However my two are two months old and seem happy enough in their duo. :) Good luck with whatever decision you make!

Feb 10, 2006
Bay Area, CA
I'd hate to contradict myself, but I got the second cory. I let the owner pick the fish this time. It turns out, he/she is a fat one. I could tell its more aged too because it's shiny around its face. It also can swim for longer periods than my previous cory cat.

Either way, thumbs up. My tank is finished. No more fish...not until I get a bigger tank. Thanks y'all.