Overstocked?

Chris89

Medium Fish
Aug 5, 2006
Fort Lauderdale
I currently have 5 Cardinals, 3 Lemon Tetras, 1 Gold Gourami, 2 Gold Rams and 2 Albino Cory cats in my 20 gallon tank. Would I be overstocking if I added two blue rams in addition to the 1 Cardinal I am planning on adding?

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2006
Yes, it is overstocked already. It all depends on how well your tank is established and if it completed the cycle phase. You need to consider their adult size, not the current size. Remember, one inch per gallon.

Thunder

Last edited:

PlecoCollector

Superstar Fish
Aug 21, 2005
Clinton, NY
Hmmm... if you break it down into the 1 inch per gallon rule then:
5 Cardinals: 5 inches
3 Lemon Tetras: ~4 inches
1 Gold Gourami: 6 inches
2 Gold Rams: 6 inches
2 Albino Cory Cats: 4 inches

So you've got about 25 inches worth of fish... it's the Gold Gourami that's going to get big. The additional Cardinal shouldn't kill you, but more Rams may be a bit much. You shouldn't do much else to the tank until the cycle is completed though. :eek: Remember that Rams need really good water conditions, so if you were to get more, you'd need to wait a few more months, even if your Gold ones make it, though I don't suggest more.

I think I'm talking in circles, or maybe I just feel like I am xD

it doesnt seem overstocked, but fully stocked. Maybe a cardinal wouldnt hurt, but i wouldnt risk it, do you have plants? the plants will help get rid of the excess nitrates, and youll hvae to be religious about your water changes.The two rams would be too much with wut you have now.

PlecoCollector

Superstar Fish
Aug 21, 2005
Clinton, NY
That would make sense ^^; The Rams will get roughly 3 inches, so it's usually better to round up rather than down when it comes to smaller tanks. I looked up the Gold Gourami and more than one site said up to 6 inches. I've never kept Gouramis minus the Honey one I have, and she's a dwarf, so I'm not used to them getting that big. You might be better off with a Dwarf Gourami like that Powder Blue one, if you'd be willing to get rid of the Gold. >.>

Chris89

Medium Fish
Aug 5, 2006
Fort Lauderdale
I would love to have a Dwarf Gourami, like a Blue Powder or a Flame, but I would have to get rid of my Gold Gourami, because I don't think they would mix to well, especially in a 20 gallon.

Chris89

Medium Fish
Aug 5, 2006
Fort Lauderdale
Yea, I know. I figured if my Gourami ever got too big and started picking on my other fish, I would give him to someone who had a bigger semi-aggressive tank and get a Dwarf. Or I would just put him in the display tank at work. :DThat way I could still see him and know he is okay.

PlecoCollector

Superstar Fish
Aug 21, 2005
Clinton, NY
That would work too! xD But then we'd have to take out the Blue Gourami that's in there, not that he's ever out anyway. :p

Or you could give in and get another tank that you know you want even though you claim you don't. Maybe a nice 44 gallon corner tank that you could use for semi-aggressive fish? ;)

Chris89

Medium Fish
Aug 5, 2006
Fort Lauderdale
PlecoCollector said:
That would work too! xD But then we'd have to take out the Blue Gourami that's in there, not that he's ever out anyway. :p

Or you could give in and get another tank that you know you want even though you claim you don't. Maybe a nice 44 gallon corner tank that you could use for semi-aggressive fish? ;)
Haha...your right...I was actually thinking earliar today about getting one of those 10 gallon setups for a planted tank with a sand bottom for a Dwarf Gourami and a couple of Dojo Loaches.

PlecoCollector

Superstar Fish
Aug 21, 2005
Clinton, NY
Lol, what did I tell you? MTS'll grab ya quickley and not let go! :D

You could do a really nice little setup if you did a 10 gallon planted. Have you ever heard of Eco Complete? I've never used it, but I was going to get some for my 20 gallon so the Zebs could play in it. It's on the pricey side, but it's really good for growing plants. That might do a bit better for a planted tank, but that's a whole other thing that I won't start now because a) You're doing one of those hypothetical things and b) I'm too tired to think about planted tanks right now. :p

Jul 22, 2006
I'm not sure of what an Eco-Complete is, but I guess that it is important to get that? I have my eyes on a 20H tank at WalMart to have in my dining room and set it up as pure plants with unknown varieties of fishies.

Thunder

PlecoCollector

Superstar Fish
Aug 21, 2005
Clinton, NY
THUNDER said:
I'm not sure of what an Eco-Complete is, but I guess that it is important to get that? I have my eyes on a 20H tank at WalMart to have in my dining room and set it up as pure plants with unknown varieties of fishies.

Thunder
As far as my understanding goes, Eco-Complete is a type of substrate made for planted tanks. I believe it contains a surplus of nutrients and all the good stuff plants need to grow. Hmmm... let me go do some research...:D