Overstocked?

May 19, 2007
I think I may have overstocked my 20 gallon tank. I wanted to get your guys opinion.

Here is what I got:

4 Rummy nose teras
6 Ember tetra (these things are tiny)
2 German Blue Rams
1 Dwarf Gourami
1 Cory Cat
3 Alge Shrimp

Let me know what you guys think

*celebrate

Feb 10, 2006
Bay Area, CA
What kind of cory do you have? Most like to be in schools and if you add more, you'll definitely be overstocked.

So far, it looks okay. I'm a little worried about the Rams pairing up and wanting their own territory. I would suggest that you keep only one school of tetras. It's much more pleasurable than keeping two smaller groups such as your rummy and ember. I'm not so sure about the second one. Haven't heard or read too much about them.

You say algae shrimp? Most shrimp eat algae, it just depends on what species you have. Is it Amano?

Some of this may sound like Blasphemy to the 1" p/gal crowd, but here's my take on it:

Overstocking depends on a couple of different things:
1) The load that the fish have on the BioFilter.
2) The amount of space that the fish need to swim around.
3) Territorial Requirements.

It's my experience with Embers that they have very little impact on the biofilter. Their impact in a healthy tank will probably be less then the excess food that they are given. That doesn't mean you can put 50 of them in your tank, but as far as the bioload goes 6 aren't going to matter.
Also Embers aren't very active either. Thier school will slowly drift around the tank, so room to swim isn't that large of a concern either.

Your Rummies will like to swim the length of the tank. The good news is that you don't have anything else competing for those swimming lanes.

Like FighterFish I'm concerned that the Rams may get territorial. They may not, but it's something to watch for. You don't want all of your fish to be harrassed by these two.

The Gourami... That is the biggest impact on bioload that you've got in this tank. Still you should be fine. My concern here is aggression with other fish. Gouramis can be bullies, and with Rams you may get some aggression. Still... it's just something to watch for.

Shrimp: No negative impact. Enjoy them as they'll help keep possible over-feeds in check.

The Corry. Like FighterFish said these really should be in schools. When I first started collecting I had 1 Corry. Then I got a larger tank, and the fish's personality totally changed. Corrys like to pal around with other corrys (Doesn't matter if they're the same kind or not). Again the good news is that you don't have anything else on the bottom to interfere with its swimming lane.

What kind of filter do you have, and are you planting the tank or going fake?
IMO if you're planting the tank, and have a decent filter then you can add 2 more Corries to give your 1 some friends.
Your stocking amount doesn't concern me with what you have... It's the Rams and their potential to be territorial that causes any concern whatsoever.

That's my take on it. Good luck. :)

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
depending on if your rams are male and female too, they may start to get aggressive if they breed. or already may be aggressive but they tend to stick to their own kind to pick on

May 19, 2007
Thank you all for your fast responses!

I believe the Cory is the False Julii Cory Cat. It looks just like it. Unfortunately, my wife picked out this fish and I should have done a bit of research on it.

Here is a picture of what it looks like.

My Dwarf Gourami seems to be picking on my German Blue Rams a bit, like Jedi mentioned. It only happens occasionally but I am watching it.

As for my shrimp, my LFS merely called them Alge eating shrimp. They appear to be Amano Shrimp according to my picture searching research.

My filter is an Aquaclear 20. Not the best filter but my water quality seems to be decent. I guess I can add some real plants to help out the cory and add two more of them. I had some other plants in there before but I don't think they were getting enough light. Right now I have a standard florescent lighting.

What kind of plants do you guys recommend?

Here is a pic of my tank. Please let me know if I should be adding more plants. I know it is kinda hard to make out.

Rummy nose teras- More active than most Tetras. They seem to like about 36"(long) of swimming Space. Not to good of a choice for anything under at least 30g's if I must say so myself.

Ember tetra (these things are tiny)- Embers are not as active as most, stay small, and do little to the bioload. Make great schools in tanks with little color. Look great with Live Plants.

German Blue Rams- Great Centerpiece but really aggressive when breeding. I prefer to have as many hide aways for all your fish in a tank with any cichlid.

Dwarf Gourami- Generally peaceful unless another aggressive fish enters its territory. Another nice centerpiece for smaller tanks.

Julii/False Julii Corydoras- 3 Should be the minimum and I think you can very well can pull it off.

Alge Shrimp- Little bioload impact. Great Algae Shrimp. Also called Amano Shrimp.

Here are my suggestions if you dont mind:

I would ditch the Rummynoses all together. One school of tetras is more than enough especially in small tanks.

Add to the embers once Rummynoses are gone. You have 6, so add 6 more.

German Blue Rams and the Dwarf Gourami. Choose one or the other. The Rams will become aggressive if breeding. The gourami shouldnt be so bad buts still may be kinda mean given having to become terrtorial. I dont recomend mixing very territorial fish together in small tanks.

Add 2-3 more Corys. Your cory will love it. They love having friends.

The Amano Shrimp should be fine with the numbers you have but if you add more remember that means more food.

I would add some fast growing stem plants and nutrient sponges(hornwort, anacharis, green hygro, etc) that dont need so much light. Your fish will enjoy and so would you when you see the beauty of plante aquaria.

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
While rummys can enjoy more room, they should be fine in this tank. This is a 20 high, correct?

As far as the cories are concerned, go ahead and add a few -- with all those little wees, your bioload is fine. While cories aren't especially concerned about which variety they school with, they will typically shoal better and be more visually appealing if you can get the same variety.

Definitely watch the gourami if you've already seen some disruptive behavior. One thing which may help with the gourami and ram questions, is more cover. Believe it or not, the fish should display even better with refuge so close to hand and broken sight lines will help to some degree with any territorial aggression.

If you'd like to try plants, simple, low light plants are always good to try -- anacharis, for example, is a cheap bunch plant which can help fill an aquarium. If your lfs isn't helpful with plant choices, essentially avoid anything with "color" (the reds and purples usually need higher light) and anything which retains its shape when lifted from the water (not usually a true aquatic plant) Don't worry about "rules" just have fun experimenting. :)