Overstocked?

angie

New Fish
Sep 17, 2007
Portland, Oregon
Oh man. I was given a tank a long time ago and just assumed that it was 15-20 gallons. So I've been taking the advice of my local, awesome fish people and stocking it accordingly. Today, I measured my tank and realized it's a 10 gallon tank, as opposed to something larger (20x10x12). I've been reading about overstocking and, while I've had fishtanks in the past, I'm curious about what the uber-fish-people here think.

10 Gallon Tank:
1 Vietnam White Cloud tetra
6 (fat) Cardinal tetras
2 African dward frogs
2 Blue Ram dwarf Cichlids
1 Yellow Tail Spiny Eel
2 Otos

Water:
GH 20
KH 30
PH 6.3-6.5
NO2/3 0

Any help would be great. I'm already looking for a new tank, but the suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Angie

PS I'm new. Hi!!

Last edited:

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
Welcome to the tank!

I would be most worried about the eel. Do you know what type it is? IMHO, no species are suited for 10 gallon tanks, and only the peacock's are OK for smaller tanks like 20 longs.

I would say your overstocked, but take the eel out of the picture, and I don't think it's that bad at all. Moderate feedings and weekly water changes will help keep everything under control.

angie

New Fish
Sep 17, 2007
Portland, Oregon
You're right. I told the fish person my tank was (as I'd thought) 20 gallons. It was the only one she recommended. Oh no!

I called the fish store and he said that, if it was going to be less than a month before I upgrade, just try to feel him on a regular schedule(2-3 times weekly).

Thank you for your help/welcome.

Angie