Overstocking ???

Yazoo1970

Medium Fish
Apr 29, 2005
Well i am thinking of adding a new fish to the collection however my tank is starting to get a little full i think. My params are right on 0 amonia 0 nitrites and less than 10 nitrates i have a 55 gallon tank with approx 130lbs of live rock and 60 lbs of live sand. it is a 55 gallon long by the way. i have the following in the tank
1 mandarian (that is actually eating brine, zooplankton, and pods)
2 scooter blennies
1 sand sifting star
1 horseshoe crab
10 ast snails
2 damsals
3 yellow tangs
I was wanting to add a naso tang i am aware that the tangs will outgrow the tank eventually. I am finishing my game room and it is going to have a much larger tank set up in there i plan to transfer them, however is this going to be to much of a load for this tank thanks for your responses

Oh yeah there is the mantis shrimp in there that i can't catch but it does not seem to be causing problems right now

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
yea I would say you are too heavily stocked if you added a naso, those tangs will all grow fast, and unless the tank switch is in the immediate future I wouldn't recoomend it also simply because of lack of territory. They will probably fight.

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
don't mandarins and scooters have similar feeding requirements? also, the damsels might take control of the entire tank...then you have the sand sifting star and the horseshoe crab, whom both need a large dsb (a 55 won't be nearly enough) or will surely starve to death over time