Packaging corals

kool_sk8a

Large Fish
Oct 20, 2003
London
Im going to be sending some coral frags by post soon. What is the best way to package a coral to ensure safe delivery??

Jan 9, 2005
Visit site
insulated means that it has a styrofoam box, inside the cardboard box.

Get a Bag, put plenty of water so that the coral is hopefully not exposed to open air (depending more on what you're sending). Tie the bag tight with an elastic and make sure there's a layer of air. Place the bag in the styrofoam cube or any type of enclosure, and try to ensure that it's not going to roll around, try and make it so that it's snug inside the cardboard box using more cardboard, styrofoam or whatever you got laying around. Put it in the box and away you go.

Depending on where you live, you might need a heatpack, or even wait til the weather gets cooler if you're somewhere hot.

Fishfreak

Large Fish
Aug 3, 2004
NC
Visit site
I have shipped out over 50 pieces of coral and it is fairly easy once you get the hang of it. A lot of companies make heat packs. I get some from a company called heat factory but am unaware if they have a web site.

AndyL

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Calgary AB
www.kensfish.com and www.jehmco.com are both good/trustworthy sellers of shipping supplies.

You may want to look into using thermoses to ship corals, thats how a lot of people are trading them these days. Generally no need for heat packs, and they're pretty much leak proof. Just don't use the ones with glass linings.

Andy

kool_sk8a

Large Fish
Oct 20, 2003
London
I was thinking that bubble wrap would be good to use for padding as it would protect the bags from moving about and it could also work as an insulater because of the pockets of air. Would this be a good idea?

AndyL

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Calgary AB
The thermos and beating around debate is basicaly bunk. Packaged correctly, a hard coral will have styrofoam attached to its base / plug to ensure it's always submerged - that alone should keep the coral itself off the walls.

Thermoses don't leak - bags do. There's a reason why so many people shipping corals have moved to hard containers. My preference is a throwaway ziplock container, with some insurance (duct tape). in a DIY foam box - but to each their own. I know those trading wrigglers like using gatorade bottles in the (last years promo) 6 bottle cooler they came with. Thermoses serve 2 purposes, they insulate and they hold water, creating a almost errorproof shipping method.

Andy