PAINTING

meanjean

Medium Fish
May 10, 2005
Kentucky
In about 6 hours my office (home of the tank) is being repainted. What do I need to do to protect fishers? The painters came in and said they didn't know but had planned to paint around it (about 9 inches from the wall).

Should they leave it plugged in while they work, or how long can it be unplugged?

20 gallon, with lid and light, but open spaces around the filter.

meanjean

Medium Fish
May 10, 2005
Kentucky
Only the filter, no separate air supply. I just leave the water low a bit below the outtake.

Heater is plugged in becuase my office is cold enough to hang meat on the walls (not really, but feels like it.)

Leopardess

Superstar Fish
It's probably too late, but in the future, I suggest unplugging your filters (HOBs/internals can be okay for a few hours like this, if its a canister, remove the media and keep it in a shallow pan in another room) and use trashbags to seal your tanks. Cover the tops particularly well and use duct tape to tack it down.

I did this when treating the appartment for fleas with a nasty, nasty chemical (I couldn't stay inside to spray more than a minute before I couldn't breathe) and none of the fish were worse for the wear.

If you are especially concerned about losing bacteria, you have the option of running your filters off a 5g bucket in another room, just add a drop or two of ammonia in.

meanjean

Medium Fish
May 10, 2005
Kentucky
UPDATE:

The painter idiots tried to move the fishtank by sliding it across the carpet. I found both water and my tank in the middle of the room when I came in this morning.

meanjean

Medium Fish
May 10, 2005
Kentucky
It was in one piece but the gravel was tilted to one end of the tank and there was water on the carpet. The water level is about two inches lower than it was on Friday. Best I can figgure, they tried to put it on a dolly or handtruck.

When I came in this morning I was LIVID! Since then, I've noticed that my pristella tetras tails (which are usually deep orange/red) have since faded to clear. I know that rummy nose often fade when stressed--is it the same for pristellas?

By the way, they didn't bother to plug back in the heater or the lights, thank god they did the filter!!!!

Leopardess

Superstar Fish
Oh I'd be talking to them about that - especially if you made it clear they shouldn't try moving it without your consent. Luckily, your fish should be fine. And yes, fish will fade in color intensity if sick, stressed, etc. It's a good thing they plugged the filter back in, at least. Everything should be fine.

Really though, how can you not guess that a glass box can easily break if filled with water (at ~8 lbs a gallon) and sloshed around? Oi vey.

meanjean

Medium Fish
May 10, 2005
Kentucky
Upon closer inspection, one of my female platys was found hiding deep in the foliage. Her tail is not flared out like normal, and she was unusually easy to net. I put her in a floating isolation tank, and she hovering close to the bottom.

Any ideas?