pale loaches

Discofish

Small Fish
Oct 9, 2006
*SICK* I have a couple of loaches and they, just today, started looking pale to me. They are active and eating (I think) but while their fins still look red, and body yellow-ish the black stripes seem more grey. I checked amonia, nitrites, nitrates, ph etc and all are stable and safe. Also I have great water circulation. The few other fish in the tank are happy. What should I do? THANKS for your HELP! :confused:

Discofish

Small Fish
Oct 9, 2006
I have three (yes clown loaches). I was told that was the minimum since they like to school. Today I have to say they all look really good and I have seen them eat... honestly though they looked off color last night. Will just watch them, as you said, and let you know what's happening. Thanks so much!

Lonewolfblue

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Wenatchee, WA
www.nw-wolf.com
Also, you say the water parameters are SAFE. That doesn't mean much, we need to know exactly, what are your parameters.
Temp?
Ammonia level?
Nitrite level?
Nitrate level?
ph?
How often are water changes done?
How long has the tank been running?

The reason we ask is because some other people have said their parameters are safe, but when asked the levels, the ammonia was .25-.5, and they considered that safe, when it's not.

Last edited:

Discofish

Small Fish
Oct 9, 2006
OK- fair questions- hope I have the answers!!
Ammonia level? zero
Nitrite level? zero
Nitrate level? 0 to .25 ppm
ph? 7.4
Temp? 82 to 83 with no heater or chiller
Alkalinity? 80-90 ppm
How often are water changes done? 10-15% weekly
How long has the tank been running? this was a 12 gallon runnning for 2 years now it's 34 gallon with all the filters/meda/gravel and (80%) water (I was storing off from water changes) from the original tank now running 2 weeks.
So the loaches are not pale anymore but I really got spooked.
My brother in law has two 100 gallon tanks so when these loaches get too big (2 yrs?) I'll give them to him. Even tho they are new to me I like them a lot, it will be hard to just visit them but the 34 gallon is all I can have.

Thanks again for all your assistance!
:)

Last edited: