Panic Q about Tetras

Feb 5, 2009
Tweed Heads
I have a 65L (17g) Tank I've had it abit over 3wks but lately all my Tetras have started schooling they go round like soldiers marching just below the surface. I have 7 Glowlites & 5 Silvertipped I'm starting panic because when they do this they won't eat normally there pretty good eaters I haven't had them long but I'm attached could someone tell me what to do? Also in the tank are 4 Brislenose Catties & 3 Platties the water Temp got upto to 30 thats about 86 I do regular water changes but I might the wrong mix!!

Jun 21, 2008
Ok. First of all, you are overstocked. That's way too many plecos in a 17 gallon, they can get territorial. And you just have too many fish overall. The general rule is 1" per gallon (adult size) and right now you're closer to about 44. As far as schooling, tetras are schooling fish, but them being at the surface and not eating might be ammonia poisoning. Did you cycle the tank? Do you have any test measurements (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)? Please share this info with us and we'll be better able to help you.

Feb 5, 2009
Tweed Heads
Crying Impatient!!

Thank you for helping, I have a 28gal tank I can move some of the fish to I;ve had it going the same time it has some fish in it but they seem to doing ok I think you might be right about amonia poisoning I;m getting all these little bubbles forming on top off water. I got impatient & lost a few fish out of big tank but I have only lost 1 silvertip out of small I was devastated because I seem to be nursing the small tank, what mix should I apply to remedy problem?

TMony

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2008
It sounds like your fish are stressed and dying of ammonia poisoning.
You need to go to the beginning of this forum and read the sticky articles about properly cycling your tank with fish. They are very helpful. You should also get a master freshwater testing kit, so you can monitor your ammonia and nitrite levels while cycling. I would also recommend getting a bottle of prime to neutralize the ammonia in your tank to protect your fish until your tank has an opportunity to develop beneficial bacteria.

Feb 5, 2009
Tweed Heads
Tetra situation

Ok. First of all, you are overstocked. That's way too many plecos in a 17 gallon, they can get territorial. And you just have too many fish overall. The general rule is 1" per gallon (adult size) and right now you're closer to about 44. As far as schooling, tetras are schooling fish, but them being at the surface and not eating might be ammonia poisoning. Did you cycle the tank? Do you have any test measurements (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)? Please share this info with us and we'll be better able to help you.
I'm going to take a sample of water to get it tested & I think the tank is still going thru cycle , thats probably a good call on your part thank you!!

TMony

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2008
We all have made mistakes in the beginning . . . you will do just fine. You took the first step in learning by asking for help, so your on the right track.
Go get a bottle of Prime right away if you can . . . that will help your fish survive the high level of ammonia in the tank.

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
I would get the temp down to 80F. If it's ammonia poisoning, I would be careful not to overfeed (not saying you should underfeed) but make sure there is no excess food after you feed them. Plus the fact that your tank is heavily overstocked combined with possible overfeeding can lead to excessive wastes (bioload / food) which = high ammonia content.

Ammonia poisoning is also very common if you heavily stocked your tank at once without a proper fishless cycle. For future reference, you shouldn't add more than 4-5 fish at a time; adding too many at once can change your water parameters drastically.

I would say you can get away with keeping the tetras and your platys in the tank as long as you do regular water changes (30% weekly), and beware of platy reproduction.
Moving out the bristlenose plecos will ease the bioload a lot for all your other fish.

that's my suggestions and GL with the tank!

Feb 5, 2009
Tweed Heads
Does it matter if I upset the bottom of the tank ie removing driftwood to catch the plecos I would like to stick them in my bigger tank because 2 of them are a different variety the star specked are abit more aggressive to the other ones who seem to be more playful??