Paralyzed Fish?

Dec 8, 2005
Harrison Twp. Michigan
My gold balloon molly just had ick and recovered from it. But now, she seems to be paralyzed in her tail. She swims around using only her side fins but doesn't seem to be able to move her tail. I mean it literally is at a 30 degree angle to the left. I don't know what's up. Is there anything I can do to cure it? Which medicines or what? I cured her ick with aquarium salt, it seemed to be the only thing that worked (Ick-away, didn't work). Please help.

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
Since you just treated for ich, I think it may be a possibility that your molly may have a secondary bacterial infection. I don't really understand exactly about this, so don't go on my word unless you find something corroborating it, or if others on the board may have had some experience with it... but I suspect that the ich treatment may sometimes weaken a fish's immune system, leaving it vulnerable to other things... but I have seen some mollies once that got the bent spine thing after a treatment for ich and were helped by Kanacyn. I don't know if the med actually helped, or the condition cleared up by itself during the treatment, that's for more experienced fishkeepers than I to speculate on. If it is bacterial, probably some other antibiotics would work too.
Good luck. I would try to google for some more info before just throwing in some more meds, though, they stress fish in addition to curing them.

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
I hate to disagree with you, maxxieboy, but when you call a pet store, you can really have no idea if the person on the other end of the phone line knows enough to be advising you or not. If you know the employee from many in-store conversations and you genuinely feel that you can trust her/him with the life of your fish and the stability of your tank, then yes, do call and ask for that employee. However, I have heard great amounts of utter hogwash spewed forth from the mouths of employees who have been hired in without any knowledge or experience in fishkeeping (for employers, finding employees who will show up every day can be challenging sometimes and you often have to take who you can get) that, if followed, will result in fish deaths and worse. I would not rely on the advice of an unknown employee of a fish store without some good corroboration. I get my advice here, after googling for information on whatever problem I'm faced with.