Parameters Spike after adding fish!!! Help!

Jul 12, 2013
California
I just tested my water after adding 3 new fish yesterday. (an Oscar, a JD, and a Jurupari earth eater) My ammonia is now at .25ppm, nitrite at .5ppm, and nitrates at 40ppm. I am doing a 30% water change right now.... What else do I do?! Help please!!

90G Freshwater

Feb 18, 2013
How big are the fish ? If they are juveniles, under 4" a week and your tank should adjust tot hem. It takes a while for tanks to adjust to new bio loads. Do water changes to help out. If they are larger than 4" you might need to do even larger water changes.

Do everything you can to drop your Nitrites below .5 ppm, even if it means a 95% WC daily.

Basically your tanks bacteria was only keeping up with the fish you had in the tank, now that the bio load is larger your bacteria colonies will take a few days to grow enough to handle the extra Ammonia.

Jul 12, 2013
California
Yeah they are all around 4". I did an extra 15% after the initial 30% too. I hope it helps... I definitely will be doing water changed daily to get it down. I don't want them stressed out or harmed badly from it. I had this happen to my 25G and lost 2 of my first fish... Very sad.
I also have an issue with the JD and the earth eater.... JD is very agressive towards the earth eater but not any other fish and I'm worried that he's gonna chase him to death. I'm thinking about either bringing him back to the LFS or moving the earth eater to my 25G until he's bigger... I don't know what to do.

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
You can't limit yourself to a 30% WC if you are showing ammo or nitrites in a tank with fish in it. You need to do water changes until they're 0,0. It might take a 75% water change or more.

I've heard the term "mini-cycle" tossed around where you see a spike in parameters after a sudden increase in bio load on a tank. I haven't seen it, but I only run 3 tanks.

Jul 12, 2013
California
The reason why I "limit" myself to 45% is because of how difficult it really is to change the water in a 90G.... I got everything under .25 with the water change and I tested today with all amm at 0ppm and nitrite at 0ppm. My tank did go through a mini cycle and its all good now. I'm trying to figure out an easier way to do water changes because the way I'm doing it isn't easy...

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but you really have to plan things like water changes before setting up a tank.

There's no way I'd own a ~90g if i had to do it w/ 5gal buckets. I'd rig up a cheap submersible pump w/ garden hose and maybe pump into or out of large, wheeled plastic storage totes. Or get a python or aqueon water change system, etc..

Feb 18, 2013
While I agree with FF, I would bet the next tank you setup will be planned out in advance. Most people seem to have to rough time the first time then they don't repeat it :)

With that said, I've seen lots of mini cycles, sometimes in my tanks, but mostly in friends tanks. Usually when a tank is not established after cycling, usually not a big deal though.

With a 90 gal tank I'd expect you to be on the ground floor of someplace, go to Lowes or Home Depot or Walmart, buy a 50' or 100' hose, and use it to siphon water out of the tank. It'll be the best $15-$30 you'll spend.

Personally, I use a tank vacuum to clean the tank, empty the water into a 20 gal ice chest, then use the hose to siphon the water out, this way I can catch a shrimp, or snail or clam if I suck it up before it goes out the hose outside.

However the hose is also great to re-fill the tank, just adjust your tap to the same temp and let the tank re-fill.

Just my 2 cents

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Just remember to plan ahead - especially when using a hose! I even went so far as to buy a nice brass attachment for the kitchen faucet - never used it. My fear is I can't be at both ends of the hose at the same time and you would probably be surprised at how much water could run on to the floor if the hose flops out of your tank while you are running to shut it off or if you get momentarily distracted. Hoses seem to have a mind of their own unless they are firmly secured to whatever you are filling.

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
Thyra, that's funny.. I did the same thing. I bought a fitting that would allow my laundry room sink faucet to accept a garden hose. I have yet to use it. My 55 and 10 are in the laundry room. I generally change out about 15g out of my 55 weekly and dump the buckets outside.

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
For my 125g I have a piece of garden hose that I syphon out the window into the front yard. Then run one of those self retracting lightweight hoses from the kitchen faucet to the tank for refill. Takes me under 20 minutes.

Feb 18, 2013
I have set an allowance for myself every month or I go crazy buying stuff for my tanks. This month's allowance went to making it easier to do water changes in my 60 gal. Something I will use with all of my large tanks in the future.

I replaced the return Fluval flex hose stuff with 5/8" lead free water tubing from Lowes. I wasn't able to find a good way to print the part so I picked up a brass water faucet divider. Fittings to go with it etc.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/16c144w5bbcphgd/IMG_20130807_190848.jpg

Now I can connect a hose, close the return to the tank, and pump however much of the water I want out, then switch a couple of valves, and replace with new water without having to take the hoods off or disturb the tank until I do a deep clean.

Feb 18, 2013
I have a lot of diffused C02 in my tap, so much that it causes my fish stress ( one of my Parrots is white, with pure tap she turns pink due to irritation ) I have a 55 gal potable water container I keep full, it's just high enough to create pressure to go into my tank. Water goes in the barrel and sits for a week, with an air stone \ dechlorinator, then it's ready for use.

Before that I would stick the end of the hose in a 1 gal jug, and add the dechlorinator to the container and fill the tank

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
Rotar-

Just curious how you know it's diffused CO2 in your tap water?

Katelyn, when refilling from the tap by hose, most will treat the whole volume of the tank with their dechlorinator before hand.

Last edited:

Zephyrah

Small Fish
Apr 15, 2013
Oklahoma
Having a parameter spike in your water is normal after adding fish. That is why you should limit yourself to adding only about 3 fish at a time max per week. Too many fish at once will upset your tank and you can end up killing fish. I usually add my fish and do a 50% water change the next day.

Also, as far as adding water and taking water out, get yourself a gravel vacuum. They come in all different lengths and they come with a fixture that fits onto your faucet. The thing that fits on your faucet has a nozzle on the bottom so that when you turn it one way, it will siphon water out and into your sink and if you turn it the other way, it will add water to your tank. Here is one at amazon that is 50ft long. Mine isn't that long, but it does reach from the tank to my kitchen sink and I have not had any spills. It works great!
Amazon.com: Python No Spill Clean and Fill Aquarium Maintenance System, 50-Feet: Pet Supplies

Zephyrah

Small Fish
Apr 15, 2013
Oklahoma
I also add Prime to my tank when I put water in. The water comes straight from the sink and if I'm doing a 50% water change on my 90gal tank, I will add 2 cap fulls. It takes the chlorine and ammonia out of the water. My fish seem to be fine with what I'm doing.

Last edited: