parasite med and bettafix

Jennifer

Large Fish
May 11, 2006
Guelph, ON
Hi,

My betta is pretty sick...surprisingly he is still alive after so many days of hiding and not eating, I think he may be getting better as he comes out more.

He didn't have any obvious physical symptoms (like fungus) so I have just been putting bettafix in the tank (wasn't sure what else to do). But lately I've noticed white poo and slight bloating so I am thinking he has parasites. Is there an anti-parasite medicine that can be used concurrently with bettafix? I don't really want to stop using the bettafix in case I'm wrong but I also don't want to cause toxicity!

Thanks,

Jennifer

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
Doesn't white poo indicate an internal bacterial infection? Might wanna do a bit more research just to make sure. If it does, I'd probably use maracyn (I or II I don't remember which right off the top of my head ) but you do want to be sure what to treat for since meds can be harsh on fish.

Jennifer

Large Fish
May 11, 2006
Guelph, ON
Yeah I suck pretty bad at diagnosing fish diseases. I did read though that "white stringy poo" was indicative of parasite...but he is also listless and hiding which would be more of bacterial thing. He seems to be getting better though...I thought he was going to die for sure. I think the bettafix is working well. He hasn't started eating yet but he's actually swimming around and stuff so fingers crossed.

I don't really know what to do or what's wrong...just keep changing the water, checking the quality and putting bettafix in.