Part ID?

So i stopped by my LFS today and saw that in their main display tank they have quite a cool overflow. So basically, a drilled tank, and it comes up with a PVc tube, all the way up to the water level, and at the water level, is a full circle with teeth around it like a corner overflow, and the water flows into that. do you know what type of design this is? i dont have a picture but i can whip out my PAINT skills if you dont get it lol

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
thats the most basic overflow (durso i belive) and i would instead recomend an overflow box siliconed around the durso so the water has to overflow over the wall before it enters the pvc ;) this will be much better for u if power goes out for some reason and your not home

Very basic, except i dont need an overflow box, because its already on there. heres a pic. i havent made the teeth yet, but will be doing that this weekend.

sorry about this one, when i uploaded it it somehow keeps rotating and the orig pic is rotated correctly.

Let me knw what you think
~jump

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
i still would have built an overflow box around it! but thats just me ..... just be careful and make sure your sump can handle all the water when the pump turns off... ill post sump pics of how i did mine

same with an overflow box. when your pump turns off, your sump still gains that water that is left above the overflow line. The circumfrence of the top overflow tube on my standpipe still has the same perimeter as if i would have put in an overflow box. and both of them serve the exact same purpose, just different designs. (im not trying to say your wrong or anything)So besides design and aesthetics(sp?) what is the problem with the standpipe I have?

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Well to me it looks like it is going to be one noisy sucker......it will sound like a toilet flushing every couple of minutes without a silencer on it.