Pastel Spawn

Mar 11, 2003
My luck was really down the past few weeks. After Abe died, I had to get all of my bettas to spawn at least once, which they did. But being first time spawners, they neglected or ate the eggs.

I decided to try my pastels, Clay and Mable, again and this time I had great success. Mable release 100-200 eggs, and Clay is having such a hard time keeping them all up. Infact, Mable had to help him out a lot. He is determined to keep them all up though, and I am very optimistic that I will have fry. I will be attaching some pics (yes, I did video tape this pair as well, but need to find out how it works).

Alexa

Last edited:

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
inline_sk8a....

The only exception is during mating, but it takes the proper setup, release, and very frequent monitoring.

Usually the female is removed after the eggs are released, but if she is helping maintain the nest (not eating the eggs) and the male does not chase her, you can leave her in there a little longer, but both the male and female have to be removed and seperated after the fry are free swimming.

Mar 11, 2003
"man ur good at spawning bettas"

Not at all! This is the first time I have gotten the eggs taken care of with my remaining pairs. I have had fry 2 times, and my heater(s) killed them both times. I was going to keep the female in to help the male, but he started chasing her. Now I wish I would've had her in there a little longer because 1/2 of the many eggs are on the floor of the aquarium..hatching! I wish he could pick them all up faster.

Alexa

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Don;t worry about the fry at the bottom, Clay will get to them sooner or later.

Thats a big spawn, but still only about 1/2 the spawn that Finchy and Ruby had, and Finchy took care of them all his own, and even when I removed him a little early, none of the fry died because they were at the bottom a bit.

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
About 1/4 of the spawn were initially on the bottom. Every now and then Dad would dive down to get some, and the fry would suddenly wake up and swim up themselves.

The j.moss sounds like a good idea, the fry on the bottom are fine, they have no labyrith yet, they breathe using gills only, so they don't need to got to the surface for air. The only issue is if you feed them microworms when they cannot move, some of the worms can get in their gills and they could die from it. Give them a few days till they are all free swimming before feeding them 'bottom' food like microworms (in 1 or 2 days right?).

I still have 6 cultures of Microworms left... want one? ;)